Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This took me about a week to find, but here it is to clear up the common confusion by owners and manufacturers. The part that most aftermarket exhaust makers call a "down pipe" is actually the front most pipe, called the front pipe. The actual down pipe comes directly off the turbo, but I think the duramax is about the only one that for the time being cannot be replaced due to size/space limitations (there is rumor someone is making one though). Other diesel makers have room to replace and enlarge, but the duramax down pipe is very very close to the firewall and is pressed and crimped in order to fit in there.

So when you are looking at exhaust systems and they say "includes down pipe" or "turbo back" they actually mean the front most pipe or from this oem pipe back.

Hope this helps and clears things up a bit. The first picture is the rear side of the Duramax and shows the down pipe. The second picture is a front pipe both with and without kitty.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep! and here's a little clearer illustration of the LB7 downpipe that shows why it's a tough replacement:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the one I was "trying" to find. where were you when we were having this discussion? LOL..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Holy Censored !! That's going to be fun to change.....if they ever come out with an aftermarket one! Is it even possible to fit a larger diameter pipe back there, and would there be any benefit to it?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there would be a benefit of course, but making one fit is almost impossible.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Remove the engine and get the BFH out:lol:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
"Almost" being the key word :D

We will start shipping Oct/Nov time frame. It will require a new front pipe as the downpipe uses a full 4" exit. There are 4 different kits to fit all the models of LB7's. LLY kits will follow shortly after the LB7 kits start shipping.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Dr. Evil does it again......

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

We will start shipping Oct/Nov time frame. It will require a new front pipe as the downpipe uses a full 4" exit. There are 4 different kits to fit all the models of LB7's. LLY kits will follow shortly after the LB7 kits start shipping.
Sweet..any idea what the price may be..ball park?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

Will you have to split the trans from the engine to change the down pipe?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
It is not a quick easy install that's for sure, but it can be done without removing the transmission. We have been testing for about a year now and have a few trucks that have been running them for more than 6 months with no issues. The install is about 4 - 6 hours and I would recommend the use of a hoist to do it. The hardest part is getting the old parts out, after that its a lot easier on the way back together. I do not have pricing at this time as we are trying to figure out to sell it as a kit or just the pipe and let the customer be on there own for the hookup to the rest of the system. What I think were going to do is offer it both ways and see what people really want. They are Stainless Steel pipes with a 4" V-band clamp joint at the bottom so it flows with no reduction into the 4" exhaust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is not a quick easy install that's for sure, but it can be done without removing the transmission. We have been testing for about a year now and have a few trucks that have been running them for more than 6 months with no issues. The install is about 4 - 6 hours and I would recommend the use of a hoist to do it. The hardest part is getting the old parts out, after that its a lot easier on the way back together. I do not have pricing at this time as we are trying to figure out to sell it as a kit or just the pipe and let the customer be on there own for the hookup to the rest of the system. What I think were going to do is offer it both ways and see what people really want. They are Stainless Steel pipes with a 4" V-band clamp joint at the bottom so it flows with no reduction into the 4" exhaust.
I am very interested in purchasing a complete kit when available. Are you starting a mailing list or will you just make an announcement here when it's available.

TIA,
-Allen

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
We will put up pictures and a post when they are released.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Dr. Evil,

So the "kit" is assumed to include a new downpipe and frontpipe?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any update on the full LLY system?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Would having a body lift create any more room for these 4" DP or would a body lift create a problem?

Just trying to think of options.

Smoke Show
Mitch

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would having a body lift create any more room for these 4" DP or would a body lift create a problem?

Just trying to think of options.

Smoke Show
Mitch
since its up agaist the firewall I'd assume it would give you more room. You are lifting the body off the frame and above the motor..probably work great.

·
Registered
225 Posts
since its up agaist the firewall I'd assume it would give you more room. You are lifting the body off the frame and above the motor..probably work great.
That would be a PITA, but oh well the fact that it would have a bad ass down pipe far surpasses the trouble with putting it on.

What has the testing shown? Egts, torque, hp, sound?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.