Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article states that adding small amounts of acetone(1-3 oz per 10 gallons) improves milage in a gasser. Milage isn't so improved on a diesel but has other benefits.

"A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the exhaust soot will be greatly reduced and your truck or car runs smoother".

I might have to give this a try. 3 oz's of acetone is pretty cheap.:D

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
There was some guy on here awhile ago that was all excited about using acetone. He was going to test it and right up some kind of a report. I never saw anything from him on that, but you may try a search. I have a feeling it didn't do anything for him.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would be cautious. I've worked with acetone quite a bit, and it will attack most plastic parts that come in contact with it. I would worry about hoses, seals, filter components......:cool:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Folk's worry abut the lubricity of ULSD and then want to put Acetone in - come on and wake up, what a silly idea. Really you would be better off to just shoot holes in your $50K truck.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
:exactly: Acetone will strip your fuel of every vital lubrication component it has. Go find you some acetone and pour it on your arm and see what happens. If you knew what acetone does you wouldnt even think about pouring it in you fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts