Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XM radio I need to install in my truck. It gets power from the cigarette lighter socket using a 6V adaptor. I don't want to have the power cord exposed, so I was going to wire an additional female cigarette lighter socket and hid it behind the dash. I don't want to tap into the factory wiring for the cig. lighter/12V access. sockets in the dash because they are always hot. I need a source that is switched to the ignition so that I don't have to remember to turn off the XM radio every time I park the truck. Any suggestions? If I did a poor job describing what I'm trying to do, please let me know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I installed my Sony XM radio, I bought a Mini-Add-A-Fuse from Auto Zone. Something like $5 or so. I then installed it into where the radio fuse is on the DS fuse panel right inside the door. What the add a fuse does is give you 2 slots to plug fuses and gives you a pony tail to splice on you added accessory. One slot I put the original radio fuse and the other slot I put the fuse for the XM. By chosing that fuse, my XM has power only when the radio has power. And I never have to turn off the XM since it shuts off automatically when you open the door and the key is off.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Go direct to the fuse box with whats mentioned or a fuse tap ....

See here

Use a trouble light to determine "HOT" side .....Find a good ground anywhere close ... This is really easy to do ....

Mac

·
Registered
817 Posts
Add a fuse all the way. You can also get power from the radio as that is where I pulled my ign sense for my phone from.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies.

3-Fan, is your Sony XM radio a Plug-N-Play model? If so, where did you mount the cradle? My first plan was to mount it in the overhead console, but that space is not deep enough. Then I planned to pull the cassette deck and put it there, but may be more trouble than its worth. I'm thinking I'll put it on top of the dash next to the A pillar, to the left of the steering wheel. Any thoughts, or better yet, pictures of it mounted?

·
Registered
165 Posts
SWLA,

This may be way more than you want but check here http://www.eastwoodco.com/
and do a search for CirKit. It is an
auxiliary fuse block that you can hook a number of aux. electrical devices to. It is very well made and works exactly as advertised.

Good luck,
BobEdited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
302 Posts
SWLA,

Yes mine is the Sony PNP. I originally had it mounted to the dash right beside the A-Pillar. Looked good, but when I added my dual pillar mount for my gages, it became very cluttered and took away some of my view. I then proceeded to mount it in the over head counsole. I had to cut out pretty much the whole back of the cubby hole in order for the wires to get through. I like it there alot better. I still need to do a little more messing around with it to get it centered in there good. But really looks good there. I'll try to get out and snap a photo or 2 for ya.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts