Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wired in a CB for the 03, after some digging, found a wire under the dash that was only energized when ignition was on, seems to be pretty thick, should this be OK? Cannot imahine a CB uses that many amps.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
What color is it? 12 guage Brown coming from the ignition swtich should be safe. Don't forget to fuse it!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I wired mine directly to the battery to eliminate any potential noise issues. Obviously I have to remember to turn it off.

·
Registered
421 Posts
With all the electronics in these things, I wouldn't cut into ANYTHING. You can get enough for a CB off the lighter plug. If you absolutely have to have it turn off with the ignition, I would go to the fuse block (either the one in the dash or the one under the hood) and find a fuse that is switched, or better yet, a blank terminal that is switched. Connect there and put in an inline fuse on your wire.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The white wire runs into the fuse box, and there is an inline fuse as part of the CB wire. Now ya'll got me curious as to what is powering the CB LOL

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
The white wire runs into the fuse box, and there is an inline fuse as part of the CB wire. Now ya'll got me curious as to what is powering the CB LOL

I would get a little suspicious if you have to hit your brakes to power the CB

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The white wire is likely an ignition wire the supplies the transmission. If it is 12 guage or so it should be ok as the cb doesn't require much power. The brown wire I was refering too is the accessory wire that powers up the radio. This is likely a wiser choice.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Max Power:

Would the "brown wire" you mentioned also be found on an '04? I know from earlier posts on other topics that some of the wiring changed between '03 and '04. Just curious if you know whether that "brown accessory wire" stayed the same color, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
CStone said:
Max Power:

Would the "brown wire" you mentioned also be found on an '04? I know from earlier posts on other topics that some of the wiring changed between '03 and '04. Just curious if you know whether that "brown accessory wire" stayed the same color, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Yes guaranteed. In fact that brown wire can be found on just about every gm vehicle ever made! Gm is pretty good about that stuff.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
If you take off the dash trim panel, its only held in with spring clips and remove the lower panel under the steering column, it's only held in with a couple of 7mm screws, and look on the back side of the fuse panel that is on the drivers side you will SEE the BROWN wire. It goes into the back side of the fuse panel with some other wires on a connector. you can unplug the connector from the fuse panel and splice your wires in a little easier.

Or you could get a little fuse tap that plugs in with your fuse and gives you a little male spade to plug a wire into for the CB

Diesel Dragon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts