Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air conditioner on and seconds later DTC 36 sets. AC off and seconds later SES light off. New IP 4 months ago, different PMD using GMTD scan tech, and I have checked several other items. Will work on other suggestions from previous DTC 36 threads unless someone here can direct me based on Air Conditioner relationship? Thanks for sharing your brilliance!

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts
Air conditioner on and seconds later DTC 36 sets. AC off and seconds later SES light off. New IP 4 months ago, different PMD using GMTD scan tech, and I have checked several other items. Will work on other suggestions from previous DTC 36 threads unless someone here can direct me based on Air Conditioner relationship? Thanks for sharing your brilliance!
IF you have the Optical Sensor filter still attached to your IP I would remove it and see if the condition improves.

Here is the 1994 Diagnostic and Troubleshooting guide for the 36 code ( begins on pg. #42) to help you narrow things down

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF you have the Optical Sensor filter still attached to your IP I would remove it and see if the condition improves.
If by the Optical Sensor you mean the black box on top of the IP...
1st it appears somewhat melted on top (not smooth plastic). I removed the six wire plug and stated the truck.
It was difficult to start and posted DTC 18 - Pump cam reference pulse error, 17 High resolution circuit fault and 35 Injection Pulse width error (response time short) I only drove it 100ft into the shade

Is that a part I can replace? It came with the new pump.

Plugged it back in and drove it with AC and I am back to my original post of intermittent SES DTC 36 based on AC on. Injection Pulse Width on that short test drive got as high as 2.17ms at the instance I looked at the laptop while driving. Generally hug around 1.93ms. Flow chart you attached for DTC 36 intermittent says possibly a weak (mechanical failure) fuel solenoid.
Is that a part I should / can replace DIY?

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts
If by the Optical Sensor you mean the black box on top of the IP...
1st it appears somewhat melted on top (not smooth plastic). I removed the six wire plug and stated the truck.
It was difficult to start and posted DTC 18 - Pump cam reference pulse error, 17 High resolution circuit fault and 35 Injection Pulse width error (response time short) I only drove it 100ft into the shade

Is that a part I can replace? It came with the new pump.

Plugged it back in and drove it with AC and I am back to my original post of intermittent SES DTC 36 based on AC on. Injection Pulse Width on that short test drive got as high as 2.17ms at the instance I looked at the laptop while driving. Generally hug around 1.93ms. Flow chart you attached for DTC 36 intermittent says possibly a weak (mechanical failure) fuel solenoid.
Is that a part I should / can replace DIY?
The Optical sensor is located on top of the IP. If you follow the wire harness connected to it you should see a black rectangle with a bunch of wire protruding from it that will be the Optical Sensor filter. ( see attached pic).
Remove the filter from the harness and throw it away . Then plug it all back in
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Just a thought. Not sure if it is the problem.
There is a diode connector that stops electrical interference from the AC clutch coil from back feeding into the electrical system. Maybe a diode is bad in the connector. Causing the 36 code when AC is turned on.
Looks like this:

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced Diode connector - no change.
Removed Optical sensor - no change...What is that for anyway, should I re-install?

After warm up. Injection Pulse Width time too long PMD 36 when AC is on. SES light out when AC off. Pulse width generally around 1.99, jumps to 2.14 momentarily as best I can drive and read screen.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,435 Posts
No don't reinstall the Optical Sensor.
It is an old technology to remove RF interference which ended up generating RF interference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts