Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on the A/c ,there's a noise and a vibration I can feel on the steering wheel.Should I replace it or repair it?
The A/c motor blower fail sometimes too ,could be the motor or the resistor?

TKS:help:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
If you don't replace the compressor soon, be prepared to be walking.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Until you repair it, unplug the electrical connection at the clutch on the AC compressor, as even if you dont turn the AC on via switch, the truck will cycle the AC compressor on when the heater switches are on defrost.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If you don't replace the compressor soon, be prepared to be walking.
:exactly:

It is possible for the clutch to seize without being hooked up to the electronics. I replaced mine as soon as it started making noise. I didn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
joispoi; I replaced mine as soon as it started making noise. I didn't want to risk it.
Well I didn't as I was going on vacation and the day after we came home, the thing seized and melted the belt in about two seconds flat. Yes, I had the wires unplugged beforehand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I turn on the A/c ,there's a noise and a vibration I can feel on the steering wheel.Should I replace it or repair it?
The A/c motor blower fail sometimes too ,could be the motor or the resistor?

TKS:help:
That's internal to the compressor, or an indicator of high compressor pressures...not a bearing problem. Bearing noise never goes away.
Check your A/C compressor belt tension--a slipping belt will cause the same 'vibration' symptoms in the PS.
If your compressor fails, the bearing idler should still be fine--just disconnect electrically at the compressor.

Lyndon
Westers Garage

·
Registered
684 Posts
my compressor would make noises when clutch was engauged, added some oil( a lot of oil) and it went away.... A/C works fine, happened after a summer trip 500mi one way, when I got in the driveway at home I heard it! So far no big deal, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it Yours sounds completely different with shaking in steering wheel, might want to get that one fixed!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Those reading this: let me caution those who run out to Wal*Mart and see "OIL ADDITIVE" stuff on in the automotive aisle. Same applies to air conditioning compressors as does engines - Too much oil is NOT a good thing. Too much refrigerant is NOT a good thing either. Both situations can lead to system/compressor failure. Unless you have leaked refrigerant, and possiblity the oil with it, I'd caution you against just "adding oil." In most situations it can be come more hinderance than help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same here...Please help me... For the love of God, please...

I have the same problem. Here's the deal with mine.

When I have the A/C on OR when when the vent is on recirculate I hear a MOANING noise that I also feel. The noise cycles on and off in for our five second intervals. I just paid my mechanic 1300 bucks for a new compressor and a new a/c hose that was looking a little on the 'iffy' side. After all that money I STILL HEAR THE SOUND, only it's a little quieter... Please tell me someone has figured this out cause it's driving the crazy...

Thanks,
John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts