Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a comp box I know I am having slip in the tranny, and I do plan on upgrading. The question is, What all components am I damaging? Can I go untill the clutches just won't hold any more and then have the full ATS kit(what I'm favoring) installed w/nessassary clutches and be good as new? Or is there other damage happening?

I would upgrade now, but the reason I ask is because I don't absolutely need it right now and if I can wait longer (like next spring), the technology might be better and there will be more info as to make up my mind on which brand. But, I don't want to be unknowingly hurting other components(besides the clutches). btw, I have about 3500 miles now, I will have about 15,000 at the time I will want to upgrade for sure.

I know I could just tear the hell out of it and just get a full replacement tranny, but mine I have now is a brand new 03 so I don't really like the idea of an older rebuilt tranny that has who knows how many miles, Or does that matter?

Just trying to figure out the best route to go.

Thanks a lot
Kyle

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
When does your tranny slip .... Highway OD ??
If so c3 might be a bit roasted ....
Your other option is to back the power down to safe "tranny" levels ....If you countinue you just might find your self back to stock .... EEEEK !!!

Mac

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has only gone in limp once and then a handfull of other times it has just came out of 5th gear and I have to put in neutral and back to drive. I know I can't have it turned up at high speeds in 5th gear. But, It still slips when the box is turned up and accellerating hard through first 4 gears even though it doesn't actually show it. Thats more what I mean.

Kyle

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Kyle, If you catch it soon enough, you can safe money but not having to replace clutches that arnt worn out yet. The longer you go, the more clutches your gonna put in. If your looking to go into this, might as well do a stage 3 kit, Mtomac will tell you that, He is happy with his best I can tell. As far as install time goes, figure a day by the time you get the controller wired in. If your coming up for install, come up the night before and we can start first thing in the morn. We have local Allison dealers nearby should be need to replace some extra parts that might be damaged, likely it just clutch damage though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts