Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about doing this for some time. Put a relay inline with the ABS fuse...cause there are some driving situations (like slippery snow and ice) where I DONT like ABS. All the rest of the time I dont mind it. So could I just basically switch the ABS on and off at will this way? Or if I switched it off, would switching it back on cause the ABS freak out and not "boot up" again until I cycled the ignition?? Anyone know?:confused:

Ben

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I was thinking about this last night. I would be really interested to know as well! I hate having to pull the fuse!

Bentley

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I did some looking around, but it seems the only way to disable ABS is to pull the huge 60 amp fuse. I can buy a big 60amp relay, but it would be simpler if there was a smaller circuit I could tie into to disable the ABS. Any ideas guys???

Ben

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ben, I don't have anything in front of me to reference right now but what if you could interrupt the signal wire that triggers the ABS computer? Their sould be a point at which you could hijack that signal. I don't even know if I am on the right tangent because I don't have the schematics right here.

Bentley

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like your thinking Ben.

I would make it a circuit that disables it until you cycle the key (locking relay type). Normal "stupid" mode would be to have ABS active. You have to be smart enough to trigger it disabled.

Kind of like tow/haul where it resets every key cycle.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Just remember that if you have it disabled and someone drives your truck and gets in an accident you could be liable.

You can put to 2 relays parallel.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Disconnect (via relay) the speed sensor on one of the front wheels.... the ABS computer should freak out, throw an ABS light, and disable itself.

Experiment with this in a BIG dry parking lot.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your thinking Ben.

I would make it a circuit that disables it until you cycle the key (locking relay type). Normal "stupid" mode would be to have ABS active. You have to be smart enough to trigger it disabled.

Kind of like tow/haul where it resets every key cycle.
Thats a great idea Nassdmax! You can trigger it on/off at will, but it always resets with key-off. Now if I could just figure out how to make a circuit like that...any ideas?? I know you know a lot about this stuff!:)

Is there any simpler way than just a relay/latching relay inline with the main 60amp ABS fuse? Id need a huge relay.

Heres another question. If I shut it off this way, and then turned it back on, would the EBCM/EHCU immediately come back on-line, or would it take another key cycle to reboot everything?

Ben

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There must be some way to disable/enable it at will without rebooting the whole truck. (key off, then on again) My friends Toyota Tacoma TRD disables ABS when you shift into 4wd LO. Then reenables it when you shift into 2wd or 4HI.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hmm, I was thinking ours also disable abs in 4-low but I'm not certain without going and grabbing a manual...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hmm, I was thinking ours also disable abs in 4-low but I'm not certain without going and grabbing a manual...
That would be convenient(sp?), you could just fool the ABS into thinking that you are in 4 low. But I would bet that it is not that easy!

Bentley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts