Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the braking system pretty well....except for the abs part of it.

As of late, my abs light will come on during the occaisional turn. It will turn off when I'm out of the turn. Abs function has been less than smooth. Braking on slippery surfaces has been kinda jerky. Wheel (s) will lock up for a second, then lock, then roll and so forth.

What is the first thing to investigate when these symptoms occur?

My hunch is that the bearings (with the abs sensors) need to be replaced. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money without troubleshooting things first.

thanks guys,

Joi

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A scanner will show which wheel speed sensor is faulty. and the speed sensors can be replaced without replacing the bearing assembly. Most likely you will find a break in the wire between the speed sensor and where it plugs into the harness, it can be repaired but will likely break again down the road, as it usually breaks at the point of flexing. a speed sensor is a fraction of the cost compared to the bearing assy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What is the first thing to investigate when these symptoms occur?
besides how to completely remove the system?

I hate the ABS in my sub. It comes on late, and on icy hills, sucks - I might as well have the wheels locked up. I'm sure part of that is my crappy tires. Mine was a Texas truck and I'm sure the tires are good when dry, but in the snow and ice, I hate driving my Sub.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Broken wire on sensor most likely. I will also be moving this to the brake section

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My abs went haywire not long after Igot the truck. Pulled codes and checked helms - repair was "replace abs unit." Well, that's an $800+ part....So, I pulled the abs fuse and disabled the whole system. Best "upgrade" I've made to the brakes....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
GM had a recall on some vehicles re abs sensors
Was also told some owners have disabled system by removing abs fuse

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My abs went haywire not long after Igot the truck. Pulled codes and checked helms - repair was "replace abs unit." Well, that's an $800+ part....So, I pulled the abs fuse and disabled the whole system. Best "upgrade" I've made to the brakes....

for my 30th birthday, my wife and family sent me to skip barber's car control clinic. we drove neons with the abs on and then abs dissabled. you can actually stop sooner with abs dissabled (when you do it right).

I'm getting autoenginuity 4.0 for my laptop. Should arrive wed. I'll plug in and see what's going on. Although, I like the simplicity of your "upgrade".

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The one thing everyone forgets is with a properly working ABS system, you can stop and steer in a panic situation. when you are skidding and the brakes are locked up and you are sliding towards a stopped car it is VERY hard to take your foot off the brake so you can steer around the stopped car!
In a straight line stop it is (with practice) possible to stop as well as abs, but I doubt you will do better than ABS when a couple of wheels are on ice and the others on dry
my thoughts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The one thing everyone forgets is with a properly working ABS system, you can stop and steer in a panic situation.
I never panic.

):h :muahaha:

nickg, I hear you about the benefits of ABS. I guess I would just rather be left to my own devices when operating the vehicle and will accept the consequences of being dumber than the computer....

That said, I've been driving a long time and never found myself in a situation I wished I had ABS and didn't have it, but for the short time it was working in the Tahoe I found myself wishing "I" could control what the brakes were doing on more than one occasion....

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Ironic addendum: I spent about a year trolling evilbay from time to time for a new ABS unit. Most that I saw went for several hunderd $. Finally found one that no one bid on from a roll-over and got it for $cheap. It's been in a box in my shop ever since. Never felt enough of a need to go through the hassle of swapping it out.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I don't like the abs, I learned how to drive in a go cart and a 1969 porsche so..... I don't see the need, I panic when the ABS comes on!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
May not be the ABS... if the gov gear in rear diff breaks it'll lock in turns making inside tire squeal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts