Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Post although I have learned a lot "lurking" :)

Here is my rig:
2001 2500 HD With extended cab
6.6 Duramax
Allison

I recieved the Fuel Filter recall notice and made an appointment to have it done, TCM and ECM updated and take a look at the typical low speed ABS issue.

Fuel filter done, TCM and ECM reprogrammed no problem.

Now for the brakes. The dealer called me and told me that the corrosion TSB did not apply to 2500 series vehicles, only 1500 series. (A lie I subsequently found out). He told me that I needed to have the hub and bearing replaced as this was unreparable and non-servicable. He explained that the left front was signaling 2 MPH and the rest of the sensors signaled 5 mph. Bill to perform this service: $507.00. I told him not to do it.

From the service procedure I got from Alldata, this seems to be a pretty straight forward servicing issue. Which I am going to do myself.

a couple of questions

1. Am i correct in suspecting his mis-diagnosis?
2. GM calls for 2 coats of "the specified rust penetrating lubricant (Corrosion protector)" on the sensor mounting flange. What should i use here?
3. They specify coating the flange and sensor with grease before reassembly. What shoud I use here?

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any advise?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When they did my 1500 it looked like they sprayed gray primer over the area ? I did the pads and rotors a week after the sensor recall.
I dont know what the recall speicifes, hopefully one of the techs will chime in.

Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

From the TSB, the prblem seems to be between the sensor and the mounting flange on the bearing hub. I guess it is corroding between the sensor and its ground, and altering the Mv it is reporting at low speed.

I would think that whatever they sprayed gray on there must be conductive, and the grease is probably dielectric grease. But then again, I am not sure enough to not ask an opinion.

This site has a wealth of great info.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My ABS light also came on when my PS hub was wobbeling due to the bearing being bad. When the hub wobbled the speed sensor came into contact with the pickup causing the ABS light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts