Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some #$%#%$#&&* pulled out in front of me today. I didn't have to slam on the brakes, but I did get into them fairly heavy, enough to hear the tires squeal??? Looked back and there were 4 skid marks in the road. Is this normal ? I thought that with the ABS the tires would not skid/lockup. They may not have locked up completely, but they did squeal and leave black marks in the road. Dry pavement with a fresh slurry at about 40mph.

With that said I was very pleased with the brakes in this situation. It was a very controlled stop, enough so that I was able to control just how close I came to the car that pulled out in front of me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
WanaDmxsub, Mine won't activate unless I push hard and fast and hold them down. Anything less and I get to control the braking. Find a safe place to test them at different speeds and you'll know if they activate. If you don't get some strange vibs and noises and your wheels lock up, there's something wrong. Good luck.

Edited by: GPtimes2

·
Registered
105 Posts
might be a little help. contrary to popular beliefs, ABS brakes will leave marks. depending on pavement type and some tires. your ABS is probably working just fine if it had not been the rear of the truck would have probably tried to pass the front. if the tires had locked up it would not have been a controlled stop. just a thought

·
Registered
326 Posts
Except for short durations -- milliseconds perhaps -- your brakes shouldn't be locking with ABS. If they are, what's the point in having it? I'd have them checked by the dealer, because that doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can get skid marks with ABS. If somehow you lock all four wheels, the ABS system 'sees' zero wheel speed at the wheels and essentially takes itself out of the loop....

Later....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts