Diesel Place banner

? about fluid path in Allison

815 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wawa 
#1 ·
The front pump seal went out in my Allison about a month ago, The dealership acted like it was unusual, and I haven't noticed that many with the same problem here.
I started to wonder if maybe the external filter caused the problem. I had changed the filter about 2500 miles before the seal problem. I had used a NAPA filter, I have always been very impressed with the quality of their filters, but when i took this one out of the box I noticed that the holes would be located under the magnet instead of around the magnet. I looked at the two filters side by side and made a mental note to not use the NAPA filter again, but decided that since I didn't plan on towing over winter ,it would be ok to use this time.
Here is the question, could a restriction at (or in) the external filter cause the front pump to build up too much pressure, and maybe cause leaks at the seals.
The insurance I bought when i bought the truck (Ultimate Warranty from "Warranty 4 Wheels" BTW) paid for the repair without any problems., and the truck is fine now. I plan on using Allison filters from here on out just in case.

Discussion starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!
Mike, thank you for the conversation we had when the shop had the truck. (Un)fortunately the torque converter was good so insurance wouldn't buy a "new one" Censored .
The shop ended up replacing the front pump, gaskets, and seals (insurance company was out almost $2000!)

Thanks for the clarification, I just wanted to know for my own benefit (still plan on only using Allison filters though... ;-).

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.