Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I just rotated (front to back) my stockers with 12.5K and notice a slight irregular wear on the outer edges of the front tires (now on back.) Truck steers straight and I hadn't noticed, hadn't looked really until now. I suspect my alignment is off just a bit and is causing this.

I considered going by the $tealer and trying to feel out the service writer to determine if I could get an alignment under warranty but I suspect that probably wont happen.

I was thinking I'd tell them that it's obvious that the irregular wear pattern can be seen on what were the two front tires until 12.5K and that this indicates that it was set that way from the start and see what they might offer.

Can NE1 suggest another angle/approach or has experienced a similar situation and tell me if the $tealer offered any warranty on it and how you went about it.

I've never been to the service department at this dealer as I haven't needed any warranty work yet so I have no idea what to expect but suspect that they won't do an alignment under warranty.

It's not a biggie for me as I have a good alignment shop nearby and am thinking it'll just be easier to go there and pay for the service, but just wondering what you folks think.

TIA

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I did the same thing except I waited until 20K. Basically the tires are to be rotated every 5K and they are not covered under warranty. You could have hit a lot of pot holes or curbs in 12K miles. My neglect cost me about 360 bucks...2 tires and alignment

JP

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wear is consistant with equal amount of positive camber (http://www.autosite.com/garage/encyclop/ency15d.asp) which in my opinion would almost rule out the pot hole theory. The change in aligment from new to now would have to be the same on both sides which I would consider unlikely. Both outer edges of the tires which were on the front are "equally" irregularly worn and the truck steers straight and always has. It's not a significant amount of wear, so the tire wear at this point is minimal.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Had mine done while on a trip to TX. The dealer said less than 7.5K miles and I had 6k at the time so, the general aligned it on their nickle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
plrod said:
The wear is consistant with equal amount of positive camber (http://www.autosite.com/garage/encyclop/ency15d.asp) which in my opinion would almost rule out the pot hole theory. The change in aligment from new to now would have to be the same on both sides which I would consider unlikely. Both outer edges of the tires which were on the front are "equally" irregularly worn and the truck steers straight and always has. It's not a significant amount of wear, so the tire wear at this point is minimal.

The same wear can be the result of toe in. When the new alignment is done, you can get a before reading to determine exactly where the alignment is off. If its camber, you might have an argument. But then again 12K is a bit of miles on any alignment on a heavy vehicle. that's not to say it shouldn't last that long, but alot can happen in those miles.

It only takes my wife one big bang against the curb to ruin any alignment.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've noticed some irregular tire wear on my truck too. It seems that the back tires have a lot less tread then the front. I just can't figure it out....I didn't really notice it until I added the juice.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
plrod, I would try that story on your dealer. You will never gain if you don't try. If they are just worn on the outside edge it definitely camber. You didn't say whether the wear was bumpy. When the toe in/out is off there will be a feathered edge across the tread. Later! Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts