Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thanks to Wade and everyone over at ATS Diesel i got my A5K in today!! :cool: :cool: :D :D

I'll be taking on the task of installation this weekend and just seeing if any of you have some little tricks/comments before i do so..
'03 Chevy DMAX LB7 Crew 4X4
again thanks WADE and everyone else ATS Diesel, you people are great and will reccomend ANYTIME!!

Colin

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
1. Buy some heat tape to wrap the down pipe.
2. Need exhaust clamps and adapter to attach down pipe to exhaust.
3. Use studs instead of bolts to attach oil drain to bottom of turbo.
4. Buy an over engine creeper.
5. Need a big A$$ ratchet to break stock down pipe and up pipe bolts loose.
6. A big hammer may be needed to make room for the down pipe.
7. Anti-seize exhaust bolt and turbo bolts to make future disassembly easier.
8. Take your time, and triple check everything.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Buy a set of rods and put them in before you put that turbo on. That's if your going to run big programming.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Also I go through all the boost tube clamps and tighten them all up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you get your adapter for the down pipe to the exhaust?

·
Registered
731 Posts
i actually vut the elbow off the down pipe, it makes it much easier to install and i hook it up through the inner fender well

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
new2DmAxnAlli;1579567; said:
Where did you get your adapter for the down pipe to the exhaust?
I didn't. The down pipe and front pipe have the same od, all I did was use a band clamp in between the two pipes, which is not the right way of doing it. If you found a short piece of 4" id pipe, you could slip it over the front pipe and weld it, and then use a band clamp from that to the down pipe.

ATS's instructions sucked, I ended up running all over h3ll Saturday morning looking for all the parts I needed to finish the build that weekend.

·
Registered
274 Posts
600+duramax;1577445; said:
Buy a set of rods and put them in before you put that turbo on. That's if your going to run big programming.
:D . Funny stuff!

One thing I had to do after installation was replace the bronze pedistal because it cracked and leaked. It was replaced with the updated pedistal and eventually leaked again. The base of the turbo and pedistal had to be machined, along with a new metal gasket, to fix the leak. Just double check both sufaces...

I also removed all of my insulation on the firewall. Had lots of buildup, soot, etc... just more of a reason for it to catch fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.