Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just color matched my door handles, tailgate handle, mirror covers, front bumper caps and grill bow tie. After the bumper caps were painted and all parts received the total project took less than 2 hours. Here's a break down for those interested:
1. Bumper caps taken in by me and painted by local shop...........$50
2. All handles and mirror caps ordered pre-painted from the link below...........$282
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06-Silverado-Painted-Ext-Door-Handles-New-GM_W0QQitemZ8041931777QQcategoryZ33642QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Total cost under $350!
The new handles and mirror caps are smooth and I felt would work out to similar price if the old ones were sanded smoother, etc. So as opposed to all that labor I went the easy route and just bought new ones.
Additional photos in My Garage area.
:D

Yes, I still need bigger wheels and tires. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks good. I am going to do mine too after seeing how easy it was.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Number1GMParts is a good Ebayer to do business with....darn good prices too.

Truck looks good, Mad!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mirror Covers

The prices are good my question is how did you get the stock mirror covers off or are the new ones an overlay on the existing???

·
Registered
235 Posts
the mirror caps on the standard mirror housings, not power extending, are held on by 3m tape and small clips that align them onto the mirror. just heat with a hairdryer and find something to pry under the edge of the cap and work slowly not to damage the mirror housing itself. they actually come off pretty easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same colored truck, where did you get the paint for the bowtie? I havent been able to find similar spray paint yet, or did you buy it? Thanks and nice lookin rig.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Mad

I was just wondering if they sanded the bumper cap and valance smooth before painting it?

I have the same color truck and I really like the way yours turned out.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
de-badge it and it will look that much better.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Items:

1. Just use a 1 inch paint scraper and gently insert it in the mirror seem anywhere you like. Slowly work it around and the mirror cover comes right off...held on my 3m tape just like the replacement piece which will take it's place.

2. I prefered the bumper covers textured so left it that way...looks great IMO. As additional info my paint guy didn't recommend sanding them smooth...could be because he hadn't ever heard of that before but I'm pleased with the results.

3. The bow tie was painted by my paint guy with the bumper covers. He just read the vin and custom matched the paint....PERFECTLY.

...all painted items primed, flex agented, sanded as appropriate by da professional...for FIFTY BUCKS! What a deal!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and I had already debadged EVERYTHING EXCEPT the front doors...still kind of like the 2500HD and DuramaxDiesel badges..
:)

·
Banned
131 Posts
Number1GMParts is a good Ebayer to do business with....darn good prices too.

Truck looks good, Mad!
I had a bad experience w/ him. Sent me the wrong colored handles and insisted for weeks that he sent the right ones. I did get a refund out of him though.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So does the front bumper paint look shiney or is it a dull look compared to the rest of the truck? I just asked this question yesterday to a paint guy and he said it would look more dull than the rest of the truck? I have Arrival blue.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More dull but NOT flat. It's painted and clear coated just like the hood. The texture breaks up the light reflection though which means that it is NOT as shiny as the hood. You'd have to either sand it smooth of get an ABS or Fiberglass replacement part for shiny 'cuz smooth=shiny. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
continuing saga with a question...

So, to remove the body side moldings or not? Some good looking rigs in other threads with them removed! I like the protection and they do match the color, but, clean is cool too and it's nice to pamper the paint with some wax...I can't decide! Any input?
:help2: I'm :confused: !

Attachments

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
looks good, i think i'll do that to mine

·
Registered
150 Posts
My paint guy said it wouldn't last long if he painted my front air dam and top of bumper so he wont warrenty which means he wont paint it. So does anyone know how much it would cost to get custom fiberglass replacement pieces made since nobody makes them?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Im surprised a painter didnt have to blend the top of the bumper and the air damn too. But it looks like it matches up to me. Nice rig, youve got me thinking now too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My paint guy said it wouldn't last long if he painted my front air dam and top of bumper so he wont warrenty which means he wont paint it. So does anyone know how much it would cost to get custom fiberglass replacement pieces made since nobody makes them?
Mine said the same thing:(

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm...well, so far all the big Florida bugs scrub off just fine with no paint damage. Holds a coat of wax as good as anything else too. I'd be interested to know what the "won't paint it" painters were going to quote. As stated, I only paid $50. For that price, I'm not worried about warranty. Heck, that part of the truck catches all the road debris and flying insects. Still satisfied, and, not getting damaged (yet :) ) by anything to cause ANY paint problems on the bumper.

To quote the Nike ads..."Just do it!" :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts