Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LBZ with manual controls.

Full blower speed with temperature sliders at coldest setting I have plenty of air flow. When I select full hot on both sliders, air flow drops off (dash, panel or floor selected). I hear the blower roaring because it's not moving much at air that point. Evaporator is clean, no HVAC filters installed.

I'm thinking heater coil is blinded with debris?

If this is the case, has anyone had this problem and how did they access it to clean it?

TIA

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
2006 LBZ with manual controls.

Full blower speed with temperature sliders at coldest setting I have plenty of air flow. When I select full hot on both sliders, air flow drops off (dash, panel or floor selected). I hear the blower roaring because it's not moving much at air that point. Evaporator is clean, no HVAC filters installed.

I'm thinking heater coil is blinded with debris?

If this is the case, has anyone had this problem and how did they access it to clean it?

TIA
I think you're on the right track with it being the heater core. When I pulled all that plastic off and pulled my noisy blower motor I found leaves were the culprit. I can imagine how they could get to the core and clog it.

Sorry, no idea how to remove. Last core I did was on a 1990.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're on the right track with it being the heater core. When I pulled all that plastic off and pulled my noisy blower motor I found leaves were the culprit. I can imagine how they could get to the core and clog it.

Sorry, no idea how to remove. Last core I did was on a 1990.
Thanks.

I'm trying to preclude issues with actuators. I don't think they're causing this problem. It's simply an obstruction in the heat path. I'll be damned if I pull that HVAC case apart to simply clean the heater core coils. I'll core a hole in the case on the upstream side of the heater coil and inspect it from there and clean if necessary.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
maybe you can go in through the opening for the fan with an inspection camera and see?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe you can go in through the opening for the fan with an inspection camera and see?
The fan is way upstream. Upstream of the evap coil actually but that's a good idea. I know someone with a borescope. I can drill a hole on the downstream side of the evap coil and inspect face of heater core.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts