Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my truck had a problem, it would start up cold fine and drive great. If i shut off and restarted within a min or two no problem. If it would sit for 10-15 min then it wouldnt start and sometimes start but then just die. After cooling off for an hour or so she would fire right up. It did give me a po251 code once and the local guy said the pump was dead. I changed the pump (w/new pmd) and its been good ever since.
Now the question was the pump dead or just the pmd ??
The local guy said something like an internal pump would not pressurize the hot fuel ?? Is there an internal pump ?? I did a bunch of searches but didnt seem to find anyone else with the same symptoms so if i missed it sorry.
I guess the main reason im askin is the old pump and pmd are on the shelf and the neighbor wants it for his truck and i dont want to spend all weekend putting a dead pump in his truck. lol
Maybe a couple of the pump gurus can awnser this

·
Registered
103 Posts
>>Now the question was the pump dead or just the pmd

In order to definitively answer any such question, a host of information , resulting from many tests, would be required.

My vehicle [when bought 5yr ago] exhibited exactly the symptom(s) your post describes. I found the LP electrical connection (wires loosely twisted together, loosely wrapped by electrical tape) was bad. I made other fuel and harness improvements and when returned to service, never saw those symptoms again.

Keep in mind this symptom is one aspect of fuel starvation, which can result from poor electrical or mechanical connections between electrical and mechanical components {in varied states of decay} , connected in series, supplying the FIP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts