Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all hope everyone is healthy. I am new to the diesel way of life and recently purchased a 2006 lly duramax express van. Owner said they swapped out the alternator and afterward had a low coolant light. There is a 2 pin connector loose that he could not find where to plug it in. Wires are yellow and black w/white. I found the connector it breaks out just behind the coolant over flow reservoir from engine harness. I stretched it out in a circle and didn’t find any mating 2 pin connectors. The only thing that looks like it might be is an oval void in the bottom of the reservoir, however it sealed from the coolant as it projects in the body of it. Is this a location for a coolant sensor but there’s no float? Would someone take a look under the hood and see please.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yep that is the spot so plug it in and go.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
looks like you are missing the sensor..some new tanks come with it...some not..
Good thing you are paying attention since I obviously missed that.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you folks, off to look for a replacement tank....with sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DORMAN 603239 is a good replacement...don't go for the real cheap ones...they are cheap for a reason..
I just got an email from a gm parts supplier canceling my order...product is unavailable with no manufacturer availability date. Ill look into the dorman.
It is your conversion LCAC_Man that got me going into swapping the LLY engine and transmission from a donor into a fresher 2014 express body. I intend to add a 4 wheel drive system into this thing as well. Thanks for the inspiration and there will likely be many more questions along the way.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
826 Posts
It is your conversion LCAC_Man that got me going into swapping the LLY engine and transmission from a donor into a fresher 2014 express body. I intend to add a 4 wheel drive system into this thing as well. Thanks for the inspiration and there will likely be many more questions along the way.
that's going to be a handful...is the LLY and trans from a truck? You'll need to change ECM/TCM to a newer version and probably convert over to at least an LMM tune(and maf) to get things talking to each other..

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I just did a quick search and found Ac Delco coolant tanks in stock at RockAuto, Amazon, Ebay, and other places.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Don't get the dorman tanks. I went thru 2 of them. And then asked for a refund. The sensors are not good on those. Get an acdelco tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's going to be a handful...is the LLY and trans from a truck? You'll need to change ECM/TCM to a newer version and probably convert over to at least an LMM tune(and maf) to get things talking to each other..

I figure as much, picked up a 2006 with a diesel and 480Le donor van to simplify the process. Maintaining the electronic differences... DIC, manual shift etc. are not all that important at this point. IPlanning is. I guess salvaging all wiring harnesses, ecm, body control modules is not out of the question. I did not think changing out the ecm and tcm was much of an option, I know little at this point.
Are you the same Len that posted on FB a picture of the engine space and cover that was modified? If so cudos and thanks, the visual speaks a thousand words.
I like the pre emision lly vs later models. I like to think a rebuild and tune will bring me into the 400+ hp range, not sure the 480Le can handle it though...lots more reading /research. Looking at Allison transmissions as an alternative.

Don't get the dorman tanks. I went thru 2 of them. And then asked for a refund. The sensors are not good on those. Get an acdelco tank.
Dang already picked one up from O Reilly....first purchase and pricey, to get everything working before I move forward...have a check engine light that need to be figured out to.

Read through a DIY 4x4 install this morning, lots of good info and quite a bit of bickering about Quigley's quality. I have been using a solid axle 4x4 for a work vehicle for 19 years from them...no issues....it's hard on front rotors though. I bought a 2019 with their LIFS 4x4 conversion that I am currently working out of and intend to model the 4x4 conversion for the 2014 with the 6.6 Duramax.
Thanks all

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
2006 is actually LBZ. The 2014 uses a totally different way of communication from the 2006. ECM, TCM, BCM all need to communicate together for everything to function and this includes gauges, HVAC, etc.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I figure as much, picked up a 2006 with a diesel and 480Le donor van to simplify the process. Maintaining the electronic differences... DIC, manual shift etc. are not all that important at this point. IPlanning is. I guess salvaging all wiring harnesses, ecm, body control modules is not out of the question. I did not think changing out the ecm and tcm was much of an option, I know little at this point.
Are you the same Len that posted on FB a picture of the engine space and cover that was modified? If so cudos and thanks, the visual speaks a thousand words.
I like the pre emision lly vs later models. I like to think a rebuild and tune will bring me into the 400+ hp range, not sure the 480Le can handle it though...lots more reading /research. Looking at Allison transmissions as an alternative.

Thanks all
yes I'm the same guy, my build thread is in my signature and here on this site.
You should decide if you are good with stepping back from the 2014 body systems to 2006. If so then just pull the entire dash cassette with wiring and move it over to the 2014...trying to hybrid that would be a nightmare..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heh heh one issue fixed, no more low coolant light. 6850FD1B-2D1B-48D8-9EAC-723401E8FBC7.jpeg
There was in fact a dorman reservoir in place with the float bouncing around, and the sensor non existent.
Need to see what the check engine light is about next.

On the LBZ comment....
I can read information but comprehension is another story.....So, the RPO and vin digit 8 (2) indicate LLY. Production in March 06, however after reading it appears the 06 duramax production year is a LBZ that is detuned and labeled LLY? There’s a sticker on the air filter that shows 250 hp @3200 rpm in lieu of the spec’d 310 hp (LLY) or 350 hp (LBZ) I see for the pick ups. At 257,000 miles on the odometer a rebuild is part of the equation and when doing so I look for with LBZ parts? Will this call for a newer ecm, one that may be compatible with the 2014 body and existing electrical, nullifying the complexities of a hybrid ?

I have been looking at 2006-2010 2500 and 3500 4x4 vehicles with a duramax /allison combination to supply the transmission, transfer case, front ifs axle and related suspension parts.
Q 4x4 conversions are based on 2500 08’-10’ suspension.
I assume the allison will bolt up to the engine I have. The 06’ and newer are 6 speed ?
I will need a tcm for the allison, will this be compatable with the 2014 electronics again nullifying the complexities of a hybrid? Do I need to look at different model years?

Len, I had not read through your entire build thread and when i got to the engine housing cutout part your ptsd comment made more sense.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
There was never a LLY van made just LBZ on up. YOU HAVE A LBZ. The LBZ ECM is not compatible with the 2014 that is why Len suggested you take the whole dash and wiring from the old van and put it in the new one.

For the rest of your questions there is no plug/play parts. If you are having trouble figuring out the simple things you do not have a chance with the difficult ones. This is not a couple of weekends easy build.

Len is smarter than the average bear so when he tells people they should not do this I would listen. To many people see just the end product and not the ridiculous amount of hours he put it in to make it happen. I am very thankful that Len shared his build with us and his honesty about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was never a LLY van made just LBZ on up. YOU HAVE A LBZ. The LBZ ECM is not compatible with the 2014 that is why Len suggested you take the whole dash and wiring from the old van and put it in the new one.

Got it, albeit contrary to what the vin and rpo codes display. That’s why I’m here to find the inconsistencies in available information and sort it out, personal opinions and the internet are never wrong....right?

For the rest of your questions there is no plug/play parts. If you are having trouble figuring out the simple things you do not have a chance with the difficult ones. This is not a couple of weekends easy build.

Got it, not having trouble at all, so much information is available and am asking the particulars as my research broadens, those who have pioneered are a wonderful knowledge base.
The simple questions I am asking are to clarify my direction in the beginning. ....
My part research and acquisition will happen long before I get the torch out or pull an engine. I will intentionally move forward to achieve a goal...... a two year timetable and a moderate budget is my plan. This has been in my head for 20 years, so I am not in a rush....

so no questions related to a questionable generation 2006 duramax engine rpm at 70 mph mated to a whatever generation allison 6 speed with a 2011+ np 263hd electronic shift transfer case and front aam 9.25 center connect axle with a semi floating rear axle and ratio of 4.56 to haul a 10,000 lb trailer and stay in the engines power band vs a 5 speed allison and a 4.10 or 480le and a 3.73 or can i use the poly fuel tank from a 2014 for a diesel or do I need to used the metal tank from the donor.
got it.....

Len is smarter than the average bear so when he tells people they should not do this I would listen. To many people see just the end product and not the ridiculous amount of hours he put it in to make it happen. I am very thankful that Len shared his build with us and his honesty about it.
Got it,
I enjoyed Lens build as well. It illustrates the possibility and nudged me to move along with my want.....not need.

I appreciate your honesty, however I do not subscribe to the “ you can’t do that” philosophy.

The cup is not full and it is not empty, there is something in it though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Your ECM, TCM and BCM have to all have a common language to work with each other. For vans 2007 and earlier that language was "Class2 Data", for 2008 and later it is "GMLowSpeed Data".
You can't mix any of the three computers with a mismatch of that, it will lock up the data bus.
You can convert an 06/07 van lbz(vin2) to an LMM by changing the MAF(and it's connector) and both the ECM and TCM (and ofcourse deleting all the DPF from the tune) to LMM donored parts, the LMM is newer an speaks GMLowSpeed so it will communicate with your BCM...there are still a lot of years between an 2008-2011 LMM and a 2014 so there will likely still be some bugs...if your LMM ECM/TCM is for a 6L90e trans van, you would need to swap the trans as well...
It gets extremely detailed to sort out all the differences...I know two others that have started down this path and then just quit on the project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts