Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking for a Banks turbo setup and not doing well at landing one used.

Shopping at Craigs list found a possible so I called the guy.
after a few minutes on the phone I drove right over (100 miles round trip)

He had a unit that he had paid $3500 to have installed on his 85 dually crewcab 4X4 back in July.
The engine went south and he yanked the engine and all the goodies out and stuffed in a 454.

I purchased the Banks kit complete as well as the 6.2 for $1200

The 6.2 was a 5 alarm train wreck with two rods out as well as the crank ate up.

Tossed the pistons and rods in the round file along with the cam and the crank.
The Block is good as are the heads. Its a 599 block built in april of 94 .
Very likely a Military one given the heads I found on it.
The engine had factory GM bearings in it so Im sure it was original from the factory and not someones put together.

Heads are in fine shape.

Looks like I will stuff it back together and it will reside in my 91 Burb 4X4.
maybe paint it CAT yellow and get a set of chrome valve covers done up for it too.

The Burb is a jacked up 91 1/2 ton unit with 35 inch diggers and 3.42 gearing.
Got a spiffy 700R tranny with all the goodies in it I saved from an 84 Blazer I sold.
The tranny has every goody yum yum you can toss into one to make it better.
Spent 3 months shopping ebay and other haunts to find all the goodies to make the K case 700 road ready

Hope to get this engine/tranny package ready to stuff into my Burb by spring.

Craigs list is a great place to buy stuff. Got the Burb there as well as the 6.2 engine and turbo stuff.

Gonna have to get some HP Cat mud flaps too.

MGW

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Glad you found a turbo. That 599 block should be nice as well. Should be quite a nice truck when you get done building it... :cool2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have wanted a 91 Burb for many years and could never find a diesel.
The one I have just popped up one night on craigs list and I beat my tooshy over and bought it.

The rig should be a sweetheart when I get it all tricked out.
the tranny I have will really spice it up.
That little beast shifted like a ton of bricks on the 1-2 shift.
Sold the Blazer 2 weeks ago and made the deal with me keeping the tranny.

Old trucks have a soul ya know, new ones are just iron.
Once ya get a good old truck you keep it for life, sort of like a good old dog/cat. part of the family

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Since you have a nice 599 block, consider boring it out to stock 6.5 specs, install some low compression 6.5 slugs and a good crank and then you will have a long lasting engine:rolleyes: the 599 block was designed as a 6.5 block and under bored for use as a 6.2. Better check the bore size to make sure it is a 6.2 now.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but if it was cast in 94 it would be a 6.5. Or were they still casting 6.2 replacement blocks at the time?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Congrats on a great find. I'll be the first to admit I'm a little jealous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts