Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

1998 Chev 3500 6.5L turbo, auto, 4x4, 195,000km

Started to have a stumble while driving...almost a slight stall before it would catch itself up again. That turned into the occasional stall while stopped, specially just after being started. Now its giveing me the odd starting trouble too. Stopped today at the mall, came back and it would crank like crazy but wouldnt fire. Tried about 3 times for 10 sec. intervals about 2 minutes apart and no luck. Just started getting ready to call a tow when I gave it one more shot and it fired right when I hit the key. Just like it always has but now its starting to play these games with me.

Also...does everyones oil pressure guage fluctuate depending on whether your on the throttle or not?

Unfortunately its hard to find a good diesel shop around town that wont gouge a person bad so im hoping to get a bunch of knowlede from you guys.

Anybody else run into this trouble before?

Thanks in advance everyone, its appreciated.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Any trouble codes?

You should update your signature and look around in the FAQ's thread. Lot of info there, including a checklist for your truck to be sure everything is right. Many people learn that they have several problems that can easily be corrected.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum bdy............

As suggested, spend some time in REF and FAQ's area, do the Diagnostics Checklist to get a better idea of what's happening under the hood.

Likely you need a new OPS and lift pump, maybe a FSD\PMD - Diagnostics can prove that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you...those are very helpfull links.

I have a couple questions...

1. re: the PMD, can a new one be remotely mounted without removing the old one? I saw a thread of pics. that showed a backup PMD and the origional still on the pump. This would save huge labour costs. Also the dealer wants $740 for a factory PMD...where can i buy a remote one...and are they cheaper?

2. the last time my fuel filter was changed it was by a shop. I want to check it out and replace it myself (make sure the bowls full) but im having trouble locating it. I have spent very little time under the hood of a diesel.

Also I have a steady flow of fuel out of my "T" valve. I am trying to locate a scanner to pull the codes to see if anything else is up. Is there really any way to test the OPS and PMD.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
PMD should be replaced if you suspect a problem, moved if you don't have a problem. Since it is so hard to take off and move most people just buy the PMD isolator kit from Heath Diesel which is complete with everything. Mount it behind the front bumper in minutes, unplug the original and plug in the new one.

It's a bit over $500 but it has a seven year warranty and it's ready to go. Anyone can install it.

If the fuel is coming out of the t-valve the OPS is good. No need to worry about the filter bowl, it's full.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks again. thats exactly what i wanted to know. So if the fuel is comming out of the "T" valve then the lift pump and OPS are okay? thought that just proves the pump is working???

And I still would like to locate the fuel filter because it should be changed anyway.

bdy

·
Registered
642 Posts
Take the plastic cover that says turbo diesel that is on the top of the engine. Stick it in the corner to gather dust. Fuel filter will be on top of the engine behind the intake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh jeeeze...sorry i was just staring at that too. i took the cover off years ago to help with the heat.

thanks
bdy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts