Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last friday, I was rear ended at a stop light... I dont know how fast she was going so I can not judge how much force that my rear bumper and hitch took. The bumper does have a dent in it for sure and the plastic pieces are scraped up, but that is not my main concern. The hitch did not have a reciever ball in it, it had a custom hitch plug. The hitch does not look right to me, but I can not put my finger on what is different about it. It is the factory hitch and I have read about the failures that have been happening with them.

I know that the hitch is designed to pull a lot of wieght, but my question is this... Being struck, will that cause the hitch to be more prone to failure? I am going to have it estimated tomorrow and I want all the info I can have to plead my case with an adjuster if the hitch is possibly damaged that he can not see.

Next.. If they do replace it, I want to go with something besides a factory hitch, but I dont want to change the reciever size (like a tow beast). What is a good hitch to go back with that look nice and do the job (I would like it to have a place for the factory wiring like the factory hitch).

Any advice on this? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Post a picture maybe we can help out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hear the Putnam XDR is a good unit.

The insurance adjuster wants only one thing from you. They want you to sign a paper releasing them from all liability. Simply state that you believe the receiver is a safety issue. If they try to give you a check for only the bumper, you don't have to accept it. They want that piece of paper, heaven forbid you come back 6 months later complaining of back pain.

I'm not telling you to try to cheat the system. If you were to hire an attorney it would cost them much more and they know this. Years from now if something happens with that hitch someone will be coming after you.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
actually ive been rearended 4 times with no damage

the hitch wa snever hurt so i dont think yours will be

it did kill my hitch plug once though

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for no pic... I just have not taken a good one yet. The damage is lite but I was concerned about the possibility of hitch failure in the future because of it. I have a pretty good attorney if need be and I will be letting them know that. Thanks for all the advice and I will be checking out that Putnam unit to be sure.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The OEM hitch is a POS to begin with. I would change it out if they pay or not. Like I said earlier it is a safety issue. If something happens to you while towing you have the liability.

If they say there is nothing wrong with your receiver, tell them to prove it. If there is a slightest scratch on it, you have the upper hand. Mag Particle, Ultrasonics and X ray will set them back twice as much as a new receiver
A new receiver will only set you back a couple hundred. Leave your attorney out of it. But don't let the adjuster know this.

Short story:
My wife got rear ended by a dump truck. You can only image the damage a fully loaded dump truck will do to a Jeep. The insurance adjuster played games with us for awhile. Didn't know if we would ever get it fixed. One day the adjuster asks.
Adjuster: "Were you hurt in the accident?"
Wife responds "Not Yet"
Adjuster: "What do you mean, Not Yet"
Wife: "I haven't been to a doctor"
She had a check for all the repairs plus $500 for the troubles the next day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lot's of folks love the Putnam XDR, and hate the OEM POS. I'm going to switch mine before my first tow next year, I don't need that hassle.

Search for issues with OEM hitches and even without an impact, those posts will scare the crap out of you.

If you tow heavy, don't screw around, be safe. An XDR can be had for somewhere around $130 to 150. Cheaper and better than most alternatives.

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
The insurance adjuster wants only one thing from you. They want you to sign a paper releasing them from all liability. Simply state that you believe the receiver is a safety issue. If they try to give you a check for only the bumper, you don't have to accept it. They want that piece of paper, heaven forbid you come back 6 months later complaining of back pain.
That advice is right on. Aside from physical damage, you can not tell if the hitch is structurally sound without magnafluxing. Tell them they ca either replace it or give you a signed statement that it safe to tow with.

When I was rear ended, insurance company just told me to take the truck and get the hitch replaced and send them the bill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Whatever you decide, if you pay shipping you can have my factory hitch! Its just barely a year old and I put a Putnam on because I am going to be towing heavy in my new business. I also have a brand new factory hitch off an 08 long bed that will fit the older body style taht has never pulled anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts