Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple pictures from hunting this weekened. We just got some weather and the geese were flying like crazy, and what can I say, we slaughtered them.. We got limits both days, but on the second day we had 4 guys so we got 3 extra geese.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Any good recipes for the slimey things? We shot a few last weekend. A blue bird sky after a full moon night... not many birds flying. I am shooting an old 870 wingmaster. I really need something bigger then 2 3/4 shells. The birds here in Missouri are a little skittish. Sounds like there is a new gun in my future. Something that will reach out and touch 'em :)

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
We have Deck Geese back home. We walk onto the back porch overlooking our pound and take them down. We give them to a friend that smokes them never eaten any other way.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I've liked them several ways. Smoked, breasts sliced and wrapped in bacon, deep fried, chunked & kabobed, chunked & cooked in mushroom sauce & one of my favorites - jerky. all good.
Some of the old guys used to say the best way to cook them was in a stew with a 2x4. Then you throw out the goose & save the board.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Any good recipes for the slimey things? We shot a few last weekend. A blue bird sky after a full moon night... not many birds flying. I am shooting an old 870 wingmaster. I really need something bigger then 2 3/4 shells. The birds here in Missouri are a little skittish. Sounds like there is a new gun in my future. Something that will reach out and touch 'em :)
Have you tried heavy-shot or similar? They shoot very similar to lead.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Next time do me a favor. Shoot 3 or 4 times your limit. I hate seeing the damn things $h!t all over my neighborhood.:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Have you tried heavy-shot or similar? They shoot very similar to lead.
Heavy Shot? The last time out I used Remington Premium. It seemed to get out there a little better then the cheap steel shot. The stores around here are pretty sparse on shells. I hunted with guys a few years ago that swore by tungsten. I haven't seen any in stores or I probably would have bought some. He11, I need an excuse to by another gun anyway:) I'm thinking about 3 1/2 magnums or maybe a 10 gauge.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I have eaten them wrapped in bacon and slow cooked. Not bad. I will have to try some of these other ideas. My freezer is filling up!

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I'm really wanting a Bennelli Black Eagle. I've heard rumors that Beretta has also come out with a new 3 1/2" auto. The Russian autos are supposed to be pretty dependable and only about $375. Just say no to Mossberg's pump. Most everybody I know has had one. Had being the key word. Who has a made in the USA 3 1/2" auto?
I'm limited to looking at auto's due to a trashed shoulder. I asked the doc when I could start shooting again & he said "I don't recommend you ever start shooting again. It'll knock your screws loose."
Some would debate that & claim it's already happened.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Heavy Shot? The last time out I used Remington Premium. It seemed to get out there a little better then the cheap steel shot. The stores around here are pretty sparse on shells. I hunted with guys a few years ago that swore by tungsten. I haven't seen any in stores or I probably would have bought some. He11, I need an excuse to by another gun anyway:) I'm thinking about 3 1/2 magnums or maybe a 10 gauge.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I have eaten them wrapped in bacon and slow cooked. Not bad. I will have to try some of these other ideas. My freezer is filling up!
Even with the big guns the non-steel shot carries noticably more wack.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thought those were pinguins at first and was wonderin if it was a joke. Anyways congrats and good eatin.
I thought they were pinquins too....i was wondering if that was legal and what kind of ******* would want to shoot them.....But glad to see you had some great hunts. I too want a benelli....

·
Registered
382 Posts
First the best recipe for goose. Oh yeah there isn't one. I can barely get my starving barn cat to eat the damn things.

Second I have a 12 ga Binelli that shoots 3 1/2 shells and wouldn't trade it for the world when it comes to turkey and goose hunting. It definately lets you reach out there the extra distance for either bird. And as far as cleaning a binelli after you have been hunting in the rain all day, it doesn't get much easier.
Binellis are like a D/A well worth the money but start saving pennies to afford one.):h

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I got a Mossberg 835 mag. it's been a good gun. I bought a Browning O&U 4 years ago and have only shot it at clays, because I moved.Censored We load our own shells that’s the only way to go, however hot or heavy you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts