Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know theres a million threads about my truck is blowing black whats wrong? but this is different. yesterday i made a trip to wellsville, ohio to go riding. had the 6x12 with 2 quads plus gear. while hauling up through the hills in southern ohio the thing was smokin like a freight train, but i was holding like a solid 10 pound of boost. I was only at maybe 1/2-3/4 throttle and just rollin the coal. why would it do that if im holding good boost and dont even have it buried?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
black smoke= unburnt fuel=rich condition How old are your injectors?The springs in them go weak with miles allowing too much fuel to spray.Worn injectors can melt pistons.Are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
628 Posts
How is your air filter? Have you cleaned it or replaced it lately. Have you ever removed the snorkel from the fender? My truck use to roll out the black smoke pulling up hill. I removed the snorkel in the fender and de-webbed the upper plenum, (S engine) and my smoke was diminished quite a bit. I still think that it may have been do to all the soot build up but don’t know. Yours shouldn’t have any soot being an F engine though. I have recently replaced the injectors and glow plug and I have a hard time producing any smoke at all. Now I get a little smoke pulling up hill and at WOT only. Check for air restrictions.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yes the snorkel has been removed, yes the filter is fairly new and flowing fine. it is getting plenty of air at 10 psi boost. i didnt know about the injector springs wearing out and letting too much fuel in. i thought that was all just controlled by the IP. and no there are no codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.