Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from a converted former powerstroke owner. After 3 years of semi-faithfull service from my Ford, I decided to get what I hoped to be a more reliable ride. Don't get me wrong, I loved the looks of my super duty, and the sound of the powerstroke is hard to beat.

At 24,000 miles, I lost the first tranny. It ate the output shaft, and spewed shavings throughout the tranny. That took 3 weeks to fix and ruined one of our out of town trips with our fiver. I adorned the ford with goodies like guages, retrax cover, K&N fipk, travel time conversion package, and several other goodies.

At 40,000, I added a superchips microtuner. kept it at the 60 horse tune, and she ran beautifully. I know the saying, you play, you pay. And at 48,000 I lost the second tranny. So, I got a little disgruntled and traded it off.

Last november I found this sitting on the lot

So, I took her home, and have just now started to shower her with gifts, well, not many but a DPPI 4" exhast, Man I love the deep rumble that puts out, and GoRhin0 W2W nerfs.

With 11,000 miles on her so far, she's perfoming flawlessly. I'm very pleased with the towing abilities with our 5er.

So far, I dont feel the need for any extra power, but I'm not sure how long I can hold out

About the only thing that is hard to get used to is the front end on the 03, but it is growing on my slowly.

I have been lurking on the the other DP site for about a year now, and have learned alot about these trucks. Cudo's for this site and what looks like the up and coming premier site for duramax information. Dang, I feel like I've written a book...lol

Mike T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
nice post, welcome aboard. I like your rig. our family owns four ford superduties...all 1999 and up and all 4 have had at least one tranny replaced and some are on the second and third. That is the weak link with them. They are used for pulling trailers etc. and have the power, but the trannys absolutely are the worst. I tried to get my dad to convert over to dmaxes and i think he will next time around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Station10fd,

Nice truck - nice fiver... Have you put some decent shocks on the Dmax yet? Some Bilsteins will feel good (If you can find them right now)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richard, no decent shocks yet, I'll probably wait till these tires wear out and I'll put some michelin 265's on

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Station

WOW !!!

What we like to see .... Best of luck with that rig ....

Welcomme To The Diesel Place

Mac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im a new convert also. Pick up my dmax tomorrow
and trade in my 03 6.0 powerstroke with 15000mi. Boy have they pissed me off. this site is a great place! Thanks
to all.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Welcome to The Diesel Place.

If you don't see the answer..... ask it. We're trying to put something together in the FYI forum so the repeated stuff is at you fingertips.

Enjoy.

Mike (hoot)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Greetings from a converted former powerstroke owner. After 3 years of semi-faithfull service from my Ford, I decided to get what I hoped to be a more reliable ride.
=========================================================

Hello mike

We did the same thing this year.. and your hit the nail on the head.. We still have our fleet of powerstrokes from 99.5 to 2002.. Our new fleet is the duramax's now .. You took the words out of the basket..

From steve
Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Yes welcome to the diesel place. I hope you find it informative and please ask if you have any questions! Nice rig too.

Nick

·
Registered
444 Posts
Station10fd:

Great Job on the picture book style on this writeup. It was great to read.

I really like the woodgrain dash cover in picture two. Who makes it and where did you get it? I'd like to get one for the Silverado, if they make one.

Best wishes with your new truck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JohnnyO, the truck had a conversion package allready on it, which inclueded the wood dash, when I bought the truck. The company was travel time conversions, which is now out of business
.................so much for calling them.

Mike T.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts