Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned today the insufficient A/C cooling problem on Duramax equipped trucks has been pinpointed to the accumulator. GM is coming out with a new one soon to correct the problem. Some have attempted to repair this with a different oriface tube and a lower refrigerent charge. GM recommends you wait for the new part instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am interested in knowing when GM comes out with this fix. I live in Texas where a good AC is necessary. I have been to the dealer with my 03 model for inadequate AC and they say every thing is in spec.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I watched the 12:30 one.

There will be a bulletin as soon as the part is available. I don't know which year this will cover. I can only assume all Duramaxes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Will this be a recall item, or are we out of luck if we have no warantee left. They should replace their screw-ups for free no matter what the mileage.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dmaxalliTech said:
I think its all dmaxes also.. i watched the first one... the live version!!

How did you like the XM and onstar guys???

Those smilies are them! I like how people were calling in asking non-onstar/XM questions.
Here's me untill they got to the truck issues--->

·
Registered
83 Posts
GMCSID or dmaxalliTech

Is this meeting or seminar something that all dealers or dealer service departments across the conutry do on a regular basis? Should I expect that my dealer personnel will have this info?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
267 Posts
Blue Max said:
Will this be a recall item, or are we out of luck if we have no warantee left. They should replace their screw-ups for free no matter what the mileage.

Do either of you guys know this, and/or how much the part will be? My '01 has never had very good AC. If it's 95 out, i sometimes have the AC on level 4 (of 5) just to keep it cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
GMCSid, thanks for the info, fortunatly mine is still blowing cold air.

Off topic (sorry), but I noticed your signature said GMC Truck Center in Oakland. I used to work for the GMC Truck Center in Seattle before it was sold by GM (long long ago) to a third party. Is your dealership still factory owned? I had some pretty good times working for GMC.

The third party is gone now and there are no major GMC Truck dealerships here in Seattle, when I say Truck I mean Truck, not our little pickups.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are privately owned. We used to have 2 truck centers, one in Oakland and one in San Jose. The San Jose store was closed a few years ago. We are a GMC, Volvo, Mack, Isuzu and Autocar dealer.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe E said:
Blue Max said:

Do either of you guys know this, and/or how much the part will be? My '01 has never had very good AC. If it's 95 out, i sometimes have the AC on level 4 (of 5) just to keep it cool. Thanks!

I think it will just be a TSB only. If you are out of warranty you will have to pay for the repair unless you can get a service manager to goodwill it for you. I don't have any more info about price or availability yet. I'm sure Dmaxallitech is keeping his eyes open for more info. I am and between us we will post info as soon as we know it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 03 and there was a TSB out that said they needed to remove some of the refrigerant. After the dealer did that it has worked fine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an 04 and the AC barely cools things down when it gets above 90 degrees. I hope they have a fix before next summer. I just got rid of my Ford 6.0 because of engine troubles, but the AC did work good.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did this AC problem happen from the start or did it take time to develop? I bought my truck in September so used the AC a bit before it cooled off and seemed to work ok.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is interesting. I got my '03 last year and found the A/C quite strong. Either I'm cold-blooded or the problem hasn't popped up yet, or I just got a good one.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Mine takes a while to cool down and I seem to have to run it on a higher level on hot days like 4-5 fan. But I thought this was because of the new type of refridgerent.

I remember my old chevy stepside 350 from 1980 something. It would ice up the vents on level 1. Man it was too cold.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine seemed to work OK for the short period of time I used it. I have that dual climate control so don't really notice the fan speed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Like Problemchild, I figured it was the new refergerent, until I did a test with my wif's 2003 Tahoe. It was 95+ outside I took a 4 mile run in both vehicles. By about 3 miles the Tahoe was cool enough that I could turn the temp setting to about 68, but the Duramax never did cool enough to change the settings. Right after that was when I figured it wqas something with the Duramax. If you do a search for insufficient cooling you will see there has been quite a bit about it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts