Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C control seems to have a short in it....if you wiggle or touch the fan knob on the left the recirc and a/c buttons will flicker on and each time it does this the compressor kicks off and on. Also, with the a/c off those same buttons will flicker randomly engaging the clutch. Have been looking for a replacement but the ACDelco one listed for my model is NLA. The '95 seems to be an oddball sometimes when trying to find parts....trying to stick with ACDelco and not aftermarket. From what I have found the '96 thru 2000 models use the same part number, the one w/o rear defogger. Does anybody know if these later model controls can be used on a '95?

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
My A/C control seems to have a short in it....if you wiggle or touch the fan knob on the left the recirc and a/c buttons will flicker on and each time it does this the compressor kicks off and on. Also, with the a/c off those same buttons will flicker randomly engaging the clutch. Have been looking for a replacement but the ACDelco one listed for my model is NLA. The '95 seems to be an oddball sometimes when trying to find parts....trying to stick with ACDelco and not aftermarket. From what I have found the '96 thru 2000 models use the same part number, the one w/o rear defogger. Does anybody know if these later model controls can be used on a '95?
Have you looked on the RockAuto site? They appear to show one available without the rear defogger:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OkDually, yessir, RA is where I was looking...the one listed as being available is the Standard Motor Products HS505. The delco one listed for my truck is the 15-72267. Cant find the delco one anywhere. RA specs say the HS505 has terminal quantity of 7 while the 15-72267 has 12. So I'm not sure how that would work? Would rather get a ACDelco one if possible. RA says the HS505 fits ALL models 1995-2000....so I'm confused!

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
OkDually, yessir, RA is where I was looking...the one listed as being available is the Standard Motor Products HS505. The delco one listed for my truck is the 15-72267. Cant find the delco one anywhere. RA specs say the HS505 has terminal quantity of 7 while the 15-72267 has 12. So I'm not sure how that would work? Would rather get a ACDelco one if possible. RA says the HS505 fits ALL models 1995-2000....so I'm confused!
Standard has been around since the late 1910's and was an old supplier for GM, Ford, and Dodge Brothers Company
I'm not sure what quantity has to do with it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Standard has been around since the late 1910's and was an old supplier for GM, Ford, and Dodge Brothers Company
I'm not sure what quantity has to do with it?
Was thinking the terminal quantity might have to do with the connectors on the back....the way it plugs in? Trying to avoid getting one that won't work without rewiring or getting new connectors.

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
Was thinking the terminal quantity might have to do with the connectors on the back....the way it plugs in? Trying to avoid getting one that won't work without rewiring or getting new connectors.
I'd verify your connector and see what it has.
Have you tried to Google the two part numbers to see what, if any difference they are?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd verify your connector and see what it has.
Have you tried to Google the two part numbers to see what, if any difference they are?
Good Idea Dually. I will take mine out of the dash and see what kind of connector(s) it has then see what the differences are. Thanks.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Something that may explain why some versions are not as common was one big issue these had was the blower wires burning off the back of the blower switch on the early ones. Later they changed it so the one that failed was doubled. They had a stupidly expensive 'kit' to upgrade older ones which was a pigtail harness you spliced onto the original. And by stupid I mean it was like $100 for a 6" tail.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something that may explain why some versions are not as common was one big issue these had was the blower wires burning off the back of the blower switch on the early ones. Later they changed it so the one that failed was doubled. They had a stupidly expensive 'kit' to upgrade older ones which was a pigtail harness you spliced onto the original. And by stupid I mean it was like $100 for a 6" tail.
Have spent a lot of time since my first post mindlessly searching the interwebs for a new a/c control panel for my '95. As it turns out, the 1995 a/c control was a one year only design, using different connectors unique to the '95 trucks. That "stupidly expensive kit" was probably an adapter harness needed to hook up a new unit, as the ones listed for the '95 are NLA and nowhere to be found. Found this thread on a GMT-400 site while searching for answers, those guys were dealing with the same issues I am...

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
435 Posts
I thought 95-99 were the same....I digress on that statement. I have a 1999 Denali with rear AC to the 2nd seat. The HVAC control is the same as my 1995 for the front AC and heat but the rear AC is controlled by a seperate switch on the overhead console.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
take a picture of your back and front

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
THis unit is not available at this time :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is what I keep running into..no longer available. Plan on taking the old unit out of the dash tomorrow.....we have a tropical storm system barreling down on us tomorrow so will see how that goes. Yeah, I could probably find one in a junk yard from a '95 that would work, don't like the idea of buying used electrical stuff, but may not have any other choice. (n)

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,171 Posts
There is one of the dial in the control that can be replaced, just the part behind the dial.

IIRC, the later model year control works also but don't quote me on it.
Check with the gasser forum to make sure, they have the same control and probably have more sample of people's experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is one of the dial in the control that can be replaced, just the part behind the dial.

IIRC, the later model year control works also but don't quote me on it.
Check with the gasser forum to make sure, they have the same control and probably have more sample of people's experience.
Thanks for the input JMJNet...I did check a gasser site mentioned in post #9...they were working on this issue over there.

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
Thanks for the input JMJNet...I did check a gasser site mentioned in post #9...they were working on this issue over there.
You needed the 72267 model?
control head.jpg
267.jpg

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
That is what I keep running into..no longer available. Plan on taking the old unit out of the dash tomorrow.....we have a tropical storm system barreling down on us tomorrow so will see how that goes. Yeah, I could probably find one in a junk yard from a '95 that would work, don't like the idea of buying used electrical stuff, but may not have any other choice. (n)
I'm sure that a HVAC/Heater control switch from a gas truck will work also. I cant see GM making to different styles gas vs diesel.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
The 96-up HVAC control will work on your 95 as long as it has the adapter harness.
You can re-wire it yourself, but you will need to find the connectors from a 96-up
at a salvage yard, mainly the 10-pin board connector, the others are avail.
The defog is optional, does not have to be used if the controller you get has it.
You can also use the non-defog controller even if your truck has it, it just won't work.
Gas or diesel does not matter. The only diff. is the gassers had a heater control valve that the diesels don't have. That wire is missing on a diesel.
The adapter harness is not sold by itself, but I have seen them occasionally for sale on ebay and other places.
Your controller may have been changed already and you would already have the adapter harness.
Have you removed it yet? Post up a photo when you do.

Reactions: JMJNet

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I checked this GM site for part number cross reference and 1995 is all by it self and 96-2000 for the Heater/AC switch control.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
The 96-up HVAC control will work on your 95 as long as it has the adapter harness.
You can re-wire it yourself, but you will need to find the connectors from a 96-up
at a salvage yard, mainly the 10-pin board connector, the others are avail.
The defog is optional, does not have to be used if the controller you get has it.
You can also use the non-defog controller even if your truck has it, it just won't work.
Gas or diesel does not matter. The only diff. is the gassers had a heater control valve that the diesels don't have. That wire is missing on a diesel.
The adapter harness is not sold by itself, but I have seen them occasionally for sale on ebay and other places.
Your controller may have been changed already and you would already have the adapter harness.
Have you removed it yet? Post up a photo when you do.
Right on Glagulator (y)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts