Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 LBZ Lt-2 package when I was buying my truck I searched High and low for the right one because at the time I was looking to buy(Sept/Oct of 05) the new LBZ was just hitting the market so locating one was difficult just about every dealer I talk to told me the same thing " There on the way". Anyway I waited, now when the trucks started to hit the dealers I was on it. I found a few I liked and noarrowed it down to the one I bought. That being said The truck I bought has a trim package LT-2 this from what I gather is something new for GM ( My opinion just another way to make more money for GM). What they do now is break down the LT packages into 3 catagories to LT-1,LT-2,LT-3, LT3 obviously being all the bells and whistles.

Well after the wait then finding the vehicle I wouldve bought just about anything,well I found an LT2 LBZ ext cab I liked and I jumped on it. However the LT2 compared to the LT3 was minimal no onstar ( which I could less about I have it in my 01 Tahoe and never use it). Now my turck came thru with Bose,leather ......... so I noticed the heat controller was the manual one instead of the digital one, I asked the dealer if the LT3 package had the digital controller and he told me NO, all new diesels have the manual type of controler. Well I wasnt going to let the deal fall thru over a heat controller so I bought the truck and are very satisfied with it.

My question is can I upgrade on my own to the digital heat/ac controller or not???????????? Is there some reason WHY? you cant buy the truck that way? And if I do change it out am I asking for problems?

My buddy has an 05 CC GMC 2500HD diesel and he has the digital controler and it seems to work for him just fine, thats how his truck came thru, and I've seen one other GMC Sierra with the same digital controller as well.

The dealer couldnt get me a clear answer as to why the truck didnt come thru with it nor if I could oder the truck that way. I'm inclined to think he (the salesman ) just want to put the deal together and not chance losing the sale so he gave me some BS answer.

Enlighten me here please.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
You got screwed! The deal just wanted your money. It's possable to upgrade. You'll need alot of money for parts and time though, It's much more than just the controller

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that was going to be the answer, those bastards.

Any idea how I cant how much money it would cost and or hhow I go about it? So I can wiegh the option out?

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Best thing to do is find a donor truck. Maybe you could find someone trading one in willing to trade parts for cash....

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 06 LT3 has the digital Auto Climate control. It is standard in the LT3 package.

·
Registered
840 Posts
just out of curiosity, why does everybody want the digital controls. This is the 2nd or 3rd thread related to this I have seen lately.

I have the digital controls in my truck and the manual slides in my 03' tahoe. Personally I like the slides better. I can grab both of them at the same time and move them together. With the digital one, I have to adjust each one separately, unless sombody can tell me how to lock both zones together.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
just out of curiosity, why does everybody want the digital controls. This is the 2nd or 3rd thread related to this I have seen lately.

I have the digital controls in my truck and the manual slides in my 03' tahoe. Personally I like the slides better. I can grab both of them at the same time and move them together. With the digital one, I have to adjust each one separately, unless sombody can tell me how to lock both zones together.
If you push AUTO on the controller and hold it for a few seconds it will lock both drivers side and pass side together until some one uses the pass side again.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The upgrade was asked before and I think the answer was you cant do it cheaply because besides the control head you need the fan that goes up by your head to sense temp plus diffrent controllers for the heat and defog doors and a bunch of other electronic crap that made it a real pain to do.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
digital climate control (CJ2) uses pulse width modulation for blower speed control

manual (CJ3) uses a simple rheostat.

so you need a new blower motor/housing, all the various temp sensors, the over head cabin ambient air temp sensor, ambient light/sunload sensor and possibly a reflash to the BCM. So yeah, technically its possible, but not a job id want to undertake!

The dealer was confused...what he meant was ALL SNOW PLOW PACKAGE TRUCKS only have the manual climate control. Ive seen quite a few 2006 LT2's (why did they do that stupid renaming scheme? for the 40th time GM, what was wrong with base, LS, LT??) with the auto climate control...

Ben

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
digital climate control (CJ2) uses pulse width modulation for blower speed control

manual (CJ3) uses a simple rheostat.

so you need a new blower motor/housing, all the various temp sensors, the over head cabin ambient air temp sensor, ambient light/sunload sensor and possibly a reflash to the BCM. So yeah, technically its possible, but not a job id want to undertake!

The dealer was confused...what he meant was ALL SNOW PLOW PACKAGE TRUCKS only have the manual climate control. Ive seen quite a few 2006 LT2's (why did they do that stupid renaming scheme? for the 40th time GM, what was wrong with base, LS, LT??) with the auto climate control...

Ben
Lots to do if you wanted the auto climate. Just not worth the trouble, really.

Ben, it was all marketing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the auto climate control and would rather have the manual control. If you like what it does in auto mode it's fine. But when you want to run it in manual mode it's a real pain having to push the air mode button and watch the display for what you want. Hit it one time too many and you get to start over. This take a lot more attention off your driving that just twisting a knob to the setting you want.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I still havent figured out how to work my digital controls after 2 years. I liked my manual controls in my 03 alot better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the digital in my '04 and manual in a '05 work truck I have. I like the looks of the digital. The manual looks a little out of place in a modern truck. But in my opinion the manual is easier to operate and just plain works better. I can never get my digital one to keep a constant temp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts