Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed over the last couple of days that when I run the VENT on my truck the A/C APPEARS to be on. The A/C light is NOT on, but the air coming out of the vents is a lot colder than it is outside.

Before I take it to my dealer, is there some problem with A/C that I can alert them to? I know about the high pressure switch thing, but I don't think that's my problem. Mine's working TOO good!

CADman_ks

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Mine does it too.

Annoying. Let me control the damn A/C...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it supposed to do that, or should I ***** about it?

I've never had a vehicle that did this. I've always been able to control the A/C anyway that I wanted...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
I think it is supposed to do it...I think its annoying too...

I think that if you turn up the heat knobby, it wont come on as easy.

I just want to recycle the air, not change its temp...

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Mine does it too. They are trying to keep the ducts dry so they dont get that moldy smell.

·
Registered
939 Posts
On the 03's with the auto temp control, you can hit the snow flake button which will turn off the A/C. My 01 hd did the same thing as yours...was told it was normal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
At least in my 2002 the A/C always runs in recirculate, but you can get vent without A/C, it's just that you have to select the fresh air intake instead of recirculate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Colorado Kid said:
At least in my 2002 the A/C always runs in recirculate, but you can get vent without A/C, it's just that you have to select the fresh air intake instead of recirculate.

I'll check that out. I may have been on re-circ. It's warm enough today to have the A/C. I'll put it in fresh air mode, and see if the A/C comes on when I do NOT have the A/C button pushed...

Thanks,

CADman_ks

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Cadman Ks

That button that your referring to is to turn the AC OFF not on. The AC comes on Automatically when it nedds to depending on the temp you have selected on the control panel. If you dont want the AC on and just want fresh air then you need to push the snowflake looking button. And a little snowflake with a Slash through it will iluminate on the control panel telling you that the AC is turned off.

Hope this helps Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Diesel Dragon,

What you're saying is true, but for the 04 owners that has changed.

If you want A/C you now have to push the button to make the snowflake come on. There is no more snowflake with the slash through it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SteveNorCal said:
Diesel Dragon,

What you're saying is true, but for the 04 owners that has changed.

If you want A/C you now have to push the button to make the snowflake come on. There is no more snowflake with the slash through it.

There's no snowflake on mine either. My A/C button has an orange LED light in it. When the lights on, the A/C (compressor) is on. However, even when I have the A/C light/button off, the compressor will still run.

I also do NOT have climate control.

CADman_ks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colorado Kid said:

I checked this out at lunch, and I couldn't really tell. It APPEARED that the air coming out was the same temperature (pretty cold) when I was in re-circ or when i was in fresh air.

I play with it some more to see if the re-circ v. fresh air setting makes any difference...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The A/C compressor on my 02 shuts off when I use outside air. You can always lift the hood and look at the compressor clutch. Later! Frank

·
Registered
192 Posts
CADman_ks:

My 2002 without climate control does the same thing.
When the re-circ button is ON the AC is on. Wether the AC switch is ON or OFF. The heat can be all the way up and I can still hear the compressor kick on/off.

Only time I use the re-circ button is when there is something outside I'd rather not smell in my truck or when the sand is blowing.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
LOL

My 93 used to have a picture of the snowflake to tell you the AC was ON
. Now my 03 has a picture of a snowflake with a slash trough it to tell you it's OFF
. Now your telling me the 04's went back to the snowflake picture to tell you it's ON. LMAO Why can't Chevy make up there mind

Thx for the laugh Diesel Dragon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.