Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, wondering if anyone has gone through what I'm experiencing. When attempting to start the Tahoe when cold in the AM (78* fla cold) I get no signal to the starter selinoid , I have had someone turn the key while placing a test light to the signal wire so I know its not the starter or solenoid. Sometimes when I get in it it will click when I turn the key and if I continually reattempt to start it will usually crank after 3 to 5 attempts but in the AM it doesn't make the clicking sound and when I don't get a clicking noise it will not start at all and I have to drive another vehicle, if I can get it to click it will always start after 3 to 5 attempts but keep in mind I have checked the signal wire to solenoid under both conditions with no signal. I have swapped the A/C relay with the starter relay with no changes. I'm thinking I need to check the signal of the ignition switch under the steering column for power next, just thought I'd post up to see if anyone has experienced this or had any suggestions.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,163 Posts
Might in fact be a problem with the ignition switch but do you have any sort of a remote starter or anti theft device on it?I went through this with a 02 Ford powerstroke van.Could not get any power to the starter.Turned out the anti theft alarm was the culprit.I cut it out and put everything back like it should and power instantly was sent to the starter.Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Sometimes simple things cause starting problems. Couple of no/low cost suggestions:

Clean your grounds: Grounds

And do this mod to your battery terminal connectors: Battery Terminal Mod

The 1999 factory manual is in the FAQ's Click Here. Look in Section 6 - Engine Electrical:

Starter Motor Diagnosis
Solenoid Clicks, Engine Does Not C r a n k ......6-769
Solenoid Does Not C l ic k ................................... 6-766

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,163 Posts
The terminal mod is a good one.My father and I did that sort of thing back in 2000 or perhaps earlier.Definately an improvement over the way the general designed those connections.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had a similar problem with my old Ford truck. Turned out to be a wire on the voltage regulator wasn't tight.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
This is good 1996 thru 2002, 95's do not have a start relay but otherwise are about the same.

StarterProblem.jpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There are no aftermarket alarms or remote starters on the vehicle and I have converted to top post battery terminals so I'm pretty sure all of the battery cables are in order. One time the M6 IGN A fuse was blown.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Just sell it to me. I have a 95 for trade in

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
Have the batteries been load tested? one at a time please?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You can always run a push button start for diagnostics. If the vehicle does not turn over, put the key in run position and hit the push button.

If you are having problems with the push button, then you know where the problems lie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was inspecting the ignition wire at the firewall and discovered a ground strap bolted to the intake that ran down the firewall that was broken off and hanging. I couldn't tell where it was supposed to bolt to. Surely this isn't the cause of the problem, is it?

I'll try bypassing the relay and see if that does anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts