Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People,
I've got 99 Chevy Diesel 6.5 that won't start. The glow plug light on the dash is not there anymore. I checked all the fuses, changed glow plug controller. Checked it with electric tester. There is no power going out of it in to plugs. All plugs are new (except one). I'm lost here. The ignition-starter is working.

please, please help !!!

Robert

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Turn key on and check yellow and pink wires at glow plug relay connector for 12v.
They should both have 12v. Have someone do the key for you so you can check voltages as soon as key is on.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,720 Posts
ECM-B fuse?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your replies, was very busy lately with work. I've checked all the fuses. I didn't find any blown-burned out ones, but will check again tomorrow (3rd time). As I said I do have power to the glowplug controller (BTW I changed 2 of them already, cause I thought the 1st could be faulty), but no power out of it (to the plugs) Is there anything besides blown fuse that could cause this? ECM?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Did you do the test in post #2?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,720 Posts
I have a few instances when fuse looks good (not blown) but not working either.
Not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys,
Will try #2 post and try to find coolant sensor wiring, but don't know where that is.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
...As I said I do have power to the glowplug controller (BTW I changed 2 of them already, cause I thought the 1st could be faulty), but no power out of it (to the plugs)...
What did you test to confirm you have power to the GP controller? Be specific. The yellow wire (Y/N). The pink wire (Y/N). The driver's side red battery cable on the controller hot at all times? (Y/N) If you have 12v on all those try tapping into the black wire of the GP controller connector and create an additional ground to the firewall.

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is in the front coolant crossover tube and has a plug with 2 wires on it. Unplugging the ECT will default the ECM to commanding full GP duration. But even a bad ECT should allow the WTS light to briefly flash when the key is turned on. It just won't give the GP's any meaningful duration. ~FH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts