Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I install the sending unit for a tranny temp gauge on my '98 3/4 4x4? I have installed them on 3 other trucks and they all have a nice little plug you remove and put the sender in. I am unable to find such a marvel on my truck. I belive it to be a 4l80e tranny.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just installed mine last week. It is on the drivers side right behind the shift linkage, about 2" above the tranny pan mating surface. I had to remove both bolts holding the electrical plugs to so can rotate out of the way to get to the plug.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, took me a good while but I finally found it last night. Also, took me a good while to install. You would think they would have put that in a more accessable location.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is hard to find because it is difficult to see from the angle. Glad you were able to get to it.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi.. New to the site but looking to do the same additions.. What sending unit and gauge are you using? Any pictures or sites where I can find it. I'm just getting started.. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks Dwayne.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This could be of some help to some guys here...
http://egauges.com/pil_kits.asp?Series=Vision

This should be a link to a guage set that comes with all wiring/tubing and "A" pillar mount for around $280. Set includes VDO vision series, Boost, EGT, and Trans Temp.

I got my trans gauge for my 1/2 ton gasser from here and was pleased with it. I got the VDO vision trans gauge and it matches the dash lighting pretty well.

However it seems their server or mine is very very slow this morning.

Hope this Helps,
Dave

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the link.. Your right.. It is slow.. :)

Can you tell me what a Heath Remote PDM is? I feel like I got a lot to learn here..

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I just installed mine last week. It is on the drivers side right behind the shift linkage, about 2" above the tranny pan mating surface. I had to remove both bolts holding the electrical plugs to so can rotate out of the way to get to the plug.
I understand this is an easy place to mount a probe, but was told it's not the best place for it and that the pan location would be better. Any tranny guys have opinions on this?

SnowDrift

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi.. New to the site but looking to do the same additions.. What sending unit and gauge are you using? Any pictures or sites where I can find it. I'm just getting started.. :)
I went with Autometer Ultra-Lite's because I liked the look. I got them all new on ebay, also a triple pillar mount.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Hey Steve, welcome to the site. Go to the new member link below and fill out your truck signature so that everyone here will be able to give clear answers to any questions about your truck.

6.5 & some 6.2 FAQ's link :http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53309

6.2, 6.5 & others Welcome new member: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19063

6.5 Diagnostic checks & some 6.2: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42248
dwayne,
Spoken just like a veteran):h ):h ):h ;)

BTW, welcome Steve and enjoy the site. There is a vast amount of knowledge here for the taking, and the MODS help out once in awhile too:D :D :joke: .
You should be able to find what you need to know on this site by way of people, searches and the FAQ's.
Best of luck to you and enjoy.:)

Mark

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I installed my temp sensor in the transmission output line that runs to the oil cooler in front of the radiator. I cut the steel line with a tubing cutter and installed an aluminum block that has three threaded holes (input, output, and sensor).

This way I get the measurement of the hotest part of the fluid. I have seen 260F climbing hills in the mountains (without my trailer). It's amazing to watch the temps climb and fall with each shift. It'v very responsive. I think it's a lot better than having a pan temperature sensor.

Jake

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I installed my temp sensor in the transmission output line that runs to the oil cooler in front of the radiator. I cut the steel line with a tubing cutter and installed an aluminum block that has three threaded holes (input, output, and sensor).

This way I get the measurement of the hotest part of the fluid. I have seen 260F climbing hills in the mountains (without my trailer). It's amazing to watch the temps climb and fall with each shift. It'v very responsive. I think it's a lot better than having a pan temperature sensor.

Jake
I think that would be the ideal place for one because you'd always have the hottest temp on that line. Curious - are you running an external cooler?

SnowDrift

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I think that would be the ideal place for one because you'd always have the hottest temp on that line. Curious - are you running an external cooler?

SnowDrift
And if so, can you post pics of how you did it.
I have my tranny temp guage on the way and would like the best place to install it for the proper readings I need to operate most proficiently.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'd say the easiest install in right in the tranny, also I'm not 100% certain but I believe this is the main feed right as the fluid leaves the pump, on its way thru the tranny. I'll ask a friend of mine who is a GM tranny tech. This is where mine is hooked up and this weekend while hauling my new truck home (he he he, sorry I'm still giddy) I hit a couple of good grades and the hottest I saw was 180F mind you it was cold out, after cresting the hill and cruising with no load it soon dropped to 150 again. I'm sure of all the places to mount it, pan, in the cooler line or where ever, you want it in a place that is trouble free and not going to leave you stranded if it decides to leak.
IMO no matter where it is its going to read some kind of temp, and you are using that temp as a base line anyway, so really does it matter if the temp is measured before or after the pump? so long you know when the tranny is running hotter than it normally would. Because no matter where you measure from you are only going to ease off the throttle so the tranny will cool anyway
My two cents

1 - 20 of 41 Posts