Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a 98 6.5 the picture on the internet has a picture of the dash and the truck sitting there idleing is only holding 20psi of oil pressure? is this safe??

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Sounds about right for a piston oil spray cooling block.
ON EDIT: From what I've seen the 92-95's with the sending unit on the back of the block held higher oil pressure than the later model blocks with the sending unit in the valley held. I don't think the pressure is really different, it is that the reading is from different parts of the block. But mine holds 30PSI hot(after towing) at a 540RPM idle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is about all my 94 holds at idle once warmed up.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are they good reliable engines? i kno they changed things around in 97..im just wondering if they are good engines and can haul loads

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Do a search on the 506 block, they are more so failure prone than the 96 and older ones. But many have had very good luck with them. There is a good chance that a 98 has had a replacement engine put in though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I saw that one on Ebay last night while looking around at the diesels. That is a very nice truck. From what I can see, it doesn't look like it has been modified in any way. It still has the plastic casing over the intake. It doesn't have a gooseneck or fifthwheel in the bed, so I doubt it has done any serious towing although it does have a good frame mount hitch on it. Go to the FAQ's and you will find a sticky that will go into what a person needs to know if interested in buying a diesel.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
truck is identical to mine except mine is white. i did a vin check on mine and found out the engine had been replaced at 51,000 kms. as for oil pressure mine is in kilopascals. metric buggers. can't help ya there. water temp does seem a little high though but maybe that's just me. you could take the vin # off the site and use the vin check feature listed on this site. great idea there. a word of caution though, the buyer is selling 8 vehicles on ebay. never, never buy a vehicle from someone who will not give any warranty. i don't know if it is an individual or company but something doesn't add up. especially with a 199.00 documentation fee and tax

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Oil Pressure

Hi Guys,

As you may know, I just bought my first diesel this past Saturday and so far I really don't have any complaints, just on the cosmetic side like the running boards, mirrors and light poles near the fender (see the picture). The mirrors will be replaced with the stock power mirrors, the running boards will be removed and sold. In replace of that, I will put the chrome step bars on.

Now this truck is a 1995 and I do expect some things to go wrong. I am mechanically inclined and plan on purchasing a service manual for this engine. My question is, this, at idle when warm, the oil pressure displays between 25 - 30 lbs. At highway speeds, it goes up to 45 lbs. I thought that was kind of low but again, I'm still learning about this engine. The other thing is that it smokes for at least 10 seconds when cold, then it goes away. Just for a comfort feeling, I'm going to replace all the glow plugs,injectors and fuel filter with aftermarket ones. Please give me some suggestions on both the glow plugs and injectors.

Thank you again for your answers.

Pete..:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
well i just added a set of bosch duraterm (glow plugs)and i'm really happy with them. The body is a little longer than the AC60g's so they are a lot nicer to get in and out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Rigwatcher,

Can you tell me where you purchased your glow plugs and for how much? Kennedy Diesel has a set of 8 for $80.00. I'm not sure if this is a good price so basically I'm looking for the best deal.

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
897 Posts
how many miles are on your truck PFlorenzano? That small amount of smoking may be valve stem seals. Probably no big deal just smokes a little till they get warm and seal off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
how many miles are on your truck PFlorenzano? That small amount of smoking may be valve stem seals. Probably no big deal just smokes a little till they get warm and seal off.
Hi JPerry,

The truck has 122K miles on it. For the record, the Injector Pump was replaced at 51K and the oil was changed faithfully every 3K.

Thanks again,

Pete..:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
looking at a 98 6.5 the picture on the internet has a picture of the dash and the truck sitting there idleing is only holding 20psi of oil pressure? is this safe??
My 98 6.5L idles at 30 psi with 128,000 miles on the engine. 20 at idle should be ok. If you can, ask old boy what the oil psi is @ 2,000 rpm driving down the road. It should be over 40 psi.
On the side, I try not buy anything on ebay from anybody in Pennsylvania. I'm not saying the hole state is messed up just that I got burned 3 out of 3 times by ebay sellers in pennsylvania.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Before I get my head ripped off, read the FAQ section regarding the glowplugs and injectors. Also post your mileage in your signature so we have a better idea of what needs to be replaced and when.

But, the oil pressure sounds fine - about the same as my truck.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Thanks SR 454

1 - 17 of 17 Posts