Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade my cooling system but have searched the forums trying to get a concensus on thermostats and can't seem to find much. Are most people running 180's, 190's or 180 & 190?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am using 180s.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am using Kennedy's cooling upgrade kit with 180 degree thermostats.

The best advice I can give when you change the crossover is: Take your time. It seems easy but it can be tricky to get the crossover to sit down and avoid the steel parts of injector return lines.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Vermont and most of the year it is cool or cold. That is why I am wondering about 180 and 195. I do tow 7-8K in the summer months.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I running 180 right now, and since summer down here comes really fast I'm leaving them in.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you use the balanced flow thermostats (extra duty Robertshaw, yes what Kennedy sells) then you'll be fine with either 180 or 195. The 195 AC-Delco is identical to the HD Robertshaw stat, the AC is a great stat (the one for the 6.5 dual application, not gasser application).

So it basically boils down to:

Running empty in hot climate:

195 (more efficient running engine)

Running empty or pulling light in cold climate

Pulling in Hot climate. or Pulling large loads in cold climate:

I'm in Texas, so I run the 180, but it ain't too warm in the winter...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Let's say I'll never tow

OK, so I have a 95, and will likely never tow anything over 2,000 pounds. It does get hot in Southern ID. Would you recommend the upgrade?

Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
what about running a staggered set 180 and 195?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I would run the AC 195's. KENNEDY even has a right up on it in his ad for the upgrade saying he runs the 195's, but carrys the 180's because customers request them. Many people run there diesels to cool and it hinders them. Most diesel's need to run around the 200-210 range to reach peak efficiency and maximum burn and power.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I live in Sacramento CA area and we get 100-110 degrees and I run the 195 AC Delco thermostats towing 7000 lbs.. All a 180 thermostat is going to do is maybe take a little longer to overheat if you are having an issue.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I run 180's for the simple fact that on hot summer days the cooling process starts early and I don't have the complete upgrade on mine yet. Running 180's will not make you truck only run @ 180 but will let coolant flow sooner. I believe some run them split and that would be a good combo too IMO. When I finish my upgrade I will split mine up I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts