Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled up in the drive way and came back - no start.

(it has sat for 2 days now - so stone cold)

Turns over, but Glow plug indicator stays off. Does not seem to be getting fuel (no white smoke). Measuring GP relay input shows .4 volt (ie no power to relay during initial "on")

Can't feel or hear fuel pump running as well (suspect off)

Fuses look good, swapped fuse box relays around - no effect.

(need a wire chart or start diagram)

Is there a sensor, or gear detection circuit that woul make the PCM do this? ~ or is the PCM kaput...

Thanks Edited by: ASultenfuss

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure if a Bad CPS would cause this? Does the tach work when you turn it over?

Have you got anyway to read the codes in the computer?

You won't hear the fuel pump it is mechanical.

Make sure all the fuses are good, the number 9, and the number 22 are critical. The fuel heater, is #22 and causes this whne it goes bad.

I'll do some more looking.Edited by: Traveler

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
What is the level of the fuel in the tank? A friends wife did this with her Tahoe. She drove in the driveway and she was low on fuel and all the fuel went the the rear of the tank. She thought she had enough fuel but it wouldn't start. We put it in neutral and rolled it down the driveway to flat ground and it started.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Right now the only other thing I can come up with, is if you have a chip, it could have gone bad, or came lose.

Even without glow plugs, in Texas it should still start.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't know much about Powerstrokes, but I know the injectors are fired with high pressure oil and if the oil level is low no injectors will fire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the speedy advice..

The 30 Amp fuse to the PCM/GPR/Fuel pmp etc was blown(#22)

We have not figured out why it blew as yet and the truck is running fine~..

There is an error code about exhaust control not working but we can see the valve moving (it is working). That was all the shop could find wrong. He mentioned the fuse for this area has a good bit of load and it may be rated at the edge.

Will keep an extra set of fuses handy.

~

Any suggestions on code "scanners" - thx

·
Registered
124 Posts
The fuel heater is on the number 22 fues. that usually is what blows it when it goes bad.

To disconnect it, it is at the base of the filter housing, on the rear I think.

If you unplug the heater, it most likely won't happen again, or if it keeps blowing, unplug the heater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts