Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 naturally asperated 6.5 that cranks but won't start. A new fuel filter was just installed. Fuel is pumping out of the bleeder valve,( it does not have a pmd and I do not think it has a fuel pump relay either. It has a 20 amp fuse for the fuel pump. It started fine before and right after the filter was installed. I then began starting intermitently and ran fine when it did. This also runs off an injection pump.
Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,435 Posts
I know fuel pumping out the bleeder valve but did you bleed the air properly?
I am not sure on your van but in a 95 truck, the LP is actually run by the OPS.
If that part of the OPS is bad, then the LP is not running when engine is running.
Hence, the engine never runs due to starving fuel.

Reactions: macdaddyof9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know fuel pumping out the bleeder valve but did you bleed the air properly?
I am not sure on your van but in a 95 truck, the LP is actually run by the OPS.
If that part of the OPS is bad, then the LP is not running when engine is running.
Hence, the engine never runs due to starving fuel.
Just replaced the ops and the mechanics replaced the fuel filter. Will look into rebleeding this as I did open the filter. The bleeder valve on the fuel filter is not working properly and may just get a new one.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,435 Posts
Is the OPS ACDelco? If not, that may be your problem.
The aftermarket, for some reason, never work correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure, the fuel filter is a wix also. Started fine until that was replaced. Ordered new acdelco fuel filters and will go over all grounds and installation of a clear hose at ip. If that doesn't work will change out ops to delco. Starting to compile a list for shopping and upgrades on this. Will let you guys know progress and thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your van should have a mechanical lift pump. The ops should not affect starting. My 95 van needs a fast crank with strong batteries to start.

How are your glow plugs?

To bleed the air you have to open the little cap at the top of the fuel filter. GM and wix changed that bleeder. You could connect a hose onto the old ones and bleed them into a jar. The new filters just run fuel onto the top of the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about the glow plugs, could be replaced as they look fairly rusty. Will test those this week also. For bleeding I am just opening the cap up a bit and letting fuel drain onto engine ?

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,435 Posts
GP ACDelco 60G

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 17 of 17 Posts