Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a '96 burb with a 6.5 on a local dealer lot. Has 112K miles and it is in decent shape for a 10 year old truck. The only major issue I have found to date is that on the GM service log, it has had the injection pump changed "3" times. One at 49K, one at 77K, and one at 99K. It shouldn't have needed more than one pump (with the '99 pump upgrade and all were done after 1999) so 3 pumps is concerning to say the least. The only three possible explanations I can come up with are that the local GM dealer did not know how to properly diagnose a PMD failure OR the previous owner was doing something to eat up pumps OR there is something wrong with the truck that is causing it to eat pumps.

Diesel Pro or anyone else who works on these pumps - is this a cause for concern? Is it going to keep eating pumps every 25K miles? Is there anything I can check to ensure the proper pump was installed and installed right without tearing the manifold off?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I found on the GM service history on my '99 Suburban a similar situation: the injection pump was replaced twice in less than 50k mile intervals.

I'm almost positive the injection pump was being replaced because of stalling problems caused by the PMD, however the dealer just replaced the entire injection pump which naturally fixed the problem as the PMD got replaced as part of the IP. It seems very few dealers just replace the PMD - the policy seems to be just replace the whole IP no matter what. Especially considering GM extended the warranty on them. It may also be the case that some GM dealer mechanics aren't aware of the PMD as being the source of many of the stalling/stumbling problems. I don't think there were any TSB's specifically calling out the PMD as the source of a problem - just the entire IP assembly.

Isolating the PMD as a problem seems to have been discovered by the owner community such as this forum, and the aftermarket. GM doesn't seem to acknowledge the PMD as a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it. The PMD went on my truck a few months after I bought it causing intermittent stalling. If I brought it to the dealer to get it fixed, I would bet they would have replaced the entire IP. I fixed it myself with help from this forum by replacing the PMD with a Heath remote mount unit, and it has never stalled on me again!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Onmy old 96 truck the dealer told me they couldn't replace just the PMD. they could only replace the whole IP for any problems. This is probably why you had so many replaced. I also notice your in Florida so my thinking is the PMD was just getting hot and burning up and dealer swaps IP.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
It's still in warranty to 120,000 miles. Do the PMD cooler thing, use additives and it might last a while. Pumps are very prone to failure. Weak link in 6.5L

Worst one I saw was a friend of mine who had GM put ten on under warranty.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had my orginal pump changed at 28,000 miles, I now have 203,000 miles on the truck so about 175,000 miles on current pump 3rd Driver. First driver on pump lasted ~100,000 miles second driver lasted 30,000 miles on intake cooler, (failure waiting to happen) 3rd current driver Heath Kit with 7 year replacement. I have 45,000 miles on the Heath Issolator kit and no problems. If you plane on keep the truck a long time spend the bucks and get the backing. Noone else backs them like Bill. Just like Stingray, I don't work for Heath just a happy buyer.:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
I vote you get it. I love my diesel burb!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am currently getting mine replaced again. This time it was a DTC 36. I will get it back today with another new pump. My dad had it replaced 2 times and this is the 4th one for me although 2 of the 4 failed within a week. I am not sure what's the issue whether it is the truck or just bad luck. My dad used fuel additives for the first 65,000 but I have not any since (starting now though). Not sure if this has to do with the failures or not. I do have a SSDiesel FSD that is not currently installed and am contemplating to just make or buy a different harness to relocate it out of the engine bay.

Do you think that some trucks have some other circumstances within the truck that can take out a pump?

I am just trying to figure out what I can do to prolong the pump this time.

This pickup has only lived in Montana and Washington.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Make sure you ALWAYS have good fuel pressure reaching the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts