Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 chevy 3500 turbo diesel just died like you shut the key off. Turns over just fine won't start. The glow plugs don't cycle. Is this a computer problem?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Most common cause and answer is PMD, so yes and no. Its the not the trucks computer, but the module that controls fueling. Look up at the stickied posts in this section, the FAQ's will give more info on the subject.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I would not jump to PMD yet. The apparent lack of glow plugs at the same time makes me think the computer is not working, blown fuse? I have not looked at a diagram but wonder how many fuses are involved and what else is on those fuses.

Reactions: grabowski

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
I would not jump to PMD yet. The apparent lack of glow plugs at the same time makes me think the computer is not working, blown fuse? I have not looked at a diagram but wonder how many fuses are involved and what else is on those fuses.
Oh I wasn't jumping to it, just stating its one of the most common things blamed. That's why most of the threads linked trouble shoot'd other possibilities.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
16,355 Posts
96 chevy 3500 turbo diesel just died like you shut the key off. Turns over just fine won't start. The glow plugs don't cycle. Is this a computer problem?
Have you done any recent work to the truck??

Where is your PMD mounted??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just change the pmd mod. last fall, but I did buy the cheap Chinese that had the wire loom to get it to the fender away form the heat. My glow plugs cycled when the last one went out and now they are not.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
x2
Check ECM-B fuse in under hood fuse box.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
EMC-B fuse blown. Replaced it, started and blew within 10 seconds.
Unplug the fuel heater connector. It is on the passenger side of the fuel filter manager. Wires for the fuel heater are on the bottom passenger side of the fuel filter manager.

The fuel filter heater harness is the one on the bottom right in this picture:

Then replace ECM-B fuse and try again.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Unplug the OPS (oil pressure switch). See if that changes things.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The OPS has an extension cable that attaches next to the other connectors at the back of the engine.
No need to get under the intake. It will have 3 wires - orange, grey and tan.

1996 ECM-B fuse only feeds the PCM and the lift pump thru the OPS and LP relay.

Reactions: Freddyack
1 - 16 of 16 Posts