Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a non-running 95 Suburban with a 6.5 under the hood. The previous owner said it was filled with gas by mistake and ran until it died.

Here are the symptoms:
Engine seems to crank slower than it should.
Lots of smoke from the dipstick, oil fill, CDR hose.
Not so much smoke from the tail pipe.
Engine will hit on a few cylinders and sounds like it would really like to start.

Here is a list of what I have done so far:
Drained tank, put fresh diesel in it.
Changed filter.
purged filter canister and supply lines 'till fresh diesel ran from the supply line to the I/P.
I disconnected the line to the number one injector and when I crank the engine very little (seems to me anyway) fuel comes out.
I unplugged the Optic Sensor.

Now, I know the system takes pressure to pop the injectors, but how much fuel should come out with the injector lines completely disconnected? When I crank the engine I can here a ticking coming from the area of the injectors that sounds like they may be popping but I am unsure, the noise could be something else entirely. If fuel flow is sufficient I will do a compression test to check cylinder condition.

Am I on the right diagnostic track or is there something else I should be checking for?

Thanks,
Sam.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Engine should not crank slower than it seems it should............

·
Registered
595 Posts
make sure glow plugs and GP relay are functioning correctly. pull a couple glow plugs out and test them, a piece of wire and a battery is all you need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glow plug relay is working, and I know 7 of the plugs are as well, someone broke one off slick with the head on the number 7 cylinder, but that's another issue I'll deal with if this thing ever runs :)

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Compression check requires all 8 glow plugs be removed, get at least 8 pump-ups per cylinder, stop on compression stroke for leak-down test.

375-425psi, all cylinders within 25psi of all other cylinders - 375 on one, 425 on another not good for crank and mains.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much fuel should come out of the injector lines when they are disconnected and you crank the engine?
Thanks,
Sam.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Fuel flow from an open injector line won't tell you much without a gauge. Flow is good, but knowing that the IP is producing enough pressure to open the injector is what you really need to know.

Check the lift pump pressure as well. 4-5 psi is very typical.

Doing a compression check is essential in an engine that has been abused like this one has. Check as many cylinders as you can. The first one may tell you the block is trash (really low readings), but do as many as practically possible. Smoke from the dipstick tube is a sign of excessive blow-by, possibly caused by a holed piston, leaky valve seals, or badly worn piston rings.

Jake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts