Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I realize this is the 6.5 forum, not the transmission forum but it looked like my post would be seen better here...

I had my tranny ( 4L80E ) rebuilt several years, and about 30k miles ago and thought it would be a good idea to change out the fluid and filter. My son volunteered to help. It looks to us like we will have to remove a cross member and possibly a skid plate in order for the oil pan to come off. I just wanted to check with other 95/96 Sub owners and make sure that's necessary.??? Dont want to over complicate it.

95 Sub 6.5L, K1500, 4L80E 4x4

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,825 Posts
IMO, you just have to see what is needed to be removed.
There are a lot of variation in this truck even in the same model year - 1500 vs 2500, C vs K, etc.
I am not sure why though.

May be buy a pan with drain plug and replace the existing pan.
That is what I would do next time I change the ATF.

Reactions: grep

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. We wound up pulling the crossmember and skid plate. Turned out to be way bigger job than we planned for. Necessary if replacing the filter though....

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,825 Posts
There are a few types of pan also.
You may need to see the picture to get the one that will fit with crossmember.

Reactions: grep

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Stock steel pan will come off of the 4 wheel drive tranny without removing mount and crossmember. The deep aluminum pans require removing mount and crossmember. With the deep pan, you can't get to the bolts on the rear of the pan. 2WD could be a different ball game since the crossmember is closer to the trans pan.
IMG_8043_1.JPG
IMG_8045_1.JPG

Reactions: JMJNet

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have another pan to compare it to but I have to say i have a deep pan. NAPA showed different filters for regular and deep pans, I got the deep one and it was the right filter, same as old one.
Pan is deeper than the ones in these images.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts