Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a worn out steering box on a 95 chevy 1500 diesel 4x4 ( just has a lot of slop) replaced idler arm and pitman arm and tie rod ends already andhave narrowed it down to the steering box, I have an 82 chevy that i derbied and am going to take it to the scrap yard but if the box's are interchangable then I am going to remove it before it goes. any body know if it will swap??????

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hollander states they are different, apparently the old body style trucks used different gearboxes. It doesn't state what is different, they might work by swapping input/ouput shafts, but a rebuilt one is probably the best solution.
1988-1995 4wd 1/2 ton and 6-lug 3/4 ton gearboxes will interchange into your 95.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The boxes may look the exact same on the outside, but chances are they are very different inside.
I didn't have access to the part numbers way back in 82, but I can for certain that the housing used in your truck was also used in a couple of other vehicles. The problem is, the internals are different. You could end up with a truck that either steers too quickly and is hard to control, or a box that causes you to have to turn the wheel more than you anticipated to get it to turn.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can tighten up the box. Don't remember how but i'm sure someone does.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I tried one time to tighten mine and it is a VERY VERY fine line!!!! Go to much like 1/8 turn and steering sucks, 1/8 turn not enough can't tell you did anything. Least in my case. To do it you need a open end wrench and a allen wrech sorry don't remember the size. Loosen the lock nut on top and hold it with the open end wrench then use the allen wrench to tighten the set screw A LITTLE BIT, hold it there and tighten the lock nut back down. Like I said it didn't work for me, but maybe a did it wrong?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts