Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figured I would post up a thread to document the things I do to my truck for my own use as well as maybe give others ideas as well. I know you guys like pictures and so do I so I will try to keep those up as I do things.

Goals:
better towing
better power
better reliability

I'll introduce you to the truck first :HiHi:

EXHAUST:

First mod I did right away was Diamond Eye 4" exhaust no muffler. Install was as easy as it can get. Cutting out the old took an hour longer than just installing the new. All said and done, doing it alone, it took about 4 hours.
Didn't take a lot of pics but here it is new in box. Also added a 12x5 stainless tip.

Besides little maintenance items and a "cold" air intake, I haven't done much else to in the year and a half i've had it besides cosmetic things. Now it's time for power.

FUELING

This is where i'm at right now, doing my own personal "feed the beast" mod. I will update as I make progress on it.

I didn't buy the actual kit because i'm also deleting the stock filter setup and really just need the I.P. fittings which I sourced myself.

The I.P. fitting is just a standard -4 AN (I.P. side) to -6 AN (fuel feed) adapter.

Unfortunately the -4 AN end gets smaller and needs to be opened up to match the -6 AN side.

I didn't measure the I.D., I just matched a drill bit to the size and ran it through my drill press.

Much better :thumb:

The lower I.P. fitting needs opened up as well on the 4 outlet holes. It's a tough metal but nothing my carbide bit couldn't handle. :HiHi:

Fittings in stock form. There is a stainless mesh screen that surrounds the holes but I ruined it trying to remove it. Luckily I have spare pumps laying around so I will replace it since I know how it comes off now.

Starting the enlarging process

All done, just have a few burrs to clean up.

For filtration, i'm using an '82 6.2 diesel primary filter housing. Already has a bleeder on top and uses 3/8" inlet and outlet. The spin on filter also has a water drain. Since I live where it gets cold, i'm buying a filter heater just in case. Doing this mostly for easier access and better filtration.

Items on the way:
Walbro FRC-10
Filter and I.P. fittings
Braided hose

This is where i'm at so far, stayed tuned. :bounce:

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
nice write-up so far, and good guide for doing the FTB mod, you know where i will be sending anyone who asks about it from now on...:thumb:... nice pics too..

Reactions: 90GMC62L

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
also, if you want to use a bit cheaper filter, get your self an oil filter from a 1995 jaguar, its the same threads as the AC head, and they only cost $4.50, no water separator, but it is easy to screw on and off, and pretty much BTU feed for our shop woodstove.... for us its a viable alternative, as the 6.2l filters here cost us $27.00 each...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice write-up so far, and good guide for doing the FTB mod, you know where i will be sending anyone who asks about it from now on...:thumb:... nice pics too..
Thanks Turbonators! :thumb:

That's my goal is to document as much as possible so others can benefit as well. And since I plan on doing all the common mods, this will be a good place for people to see how some of them are done.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
also, if you want to use a bit cheaper filter, get your self an oil filter from a 1995 jaguar, its the same threads as the AC head, and they only cost $4.50, no water separator, but it is easy to screw on and off, and pretty much BTU feed for our shop woodstove.... for us its a viable alternative, as the 6.2l filters here cost us $27.00 each...
Awesome! I forgot how much they cost since I sold my '82 a few years ago. I can get them for about $21 but that's still more than i'd like. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

I also have another '82 Filter head and thought about using that one as a pre-lift pump filter.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made a little progress today. Painted up the filter housing and went shopping for some more fittings, hose, O-rings, clamps, and my filter. The 6.2 Purolator filter is a little cheaper than the 6.5 version by a few bucks, actually got it for $14.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Very nice truck. It's in great shape!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all :HiHi: I couldn't pass the truck up when I found it on craigslist last year, that color scheme is awesome I think. It had 145K miles on it, no rust and had been sitting for 5 years because of a bad trans. I paid $1500 for it and got the trans rebuilt, all new brake lines, fuel lines, new tires, dmax wheels and now 13K miles later, this is where i'm at. Been a great rig so far.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just remembered, I should have taken pics of the OBDI high idle mod. Maybe I can snap some this week even though I already finished it.

Also for 92-95 trucks, I did a VSSB mod to correct my speedometer for the 285s, i'll get that info up as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looking forward to modification ideas for my 93 3500 DB2. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
627 Posts
That is a very sharp looking truck Aaron, and your doing very nice work! I'll enjoy following along with this thread.:thumb:

Matt

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a very sharp looking truck Aaron, and your doing very nice work! I'll enjoy following along with this thread.:thumb:

Matt
Thanks matt! Hopefully i'll have more to add here soon, going to make the bracket for my filter housing and Walbro today. :thumb:

Reactions: bowtiebutler956

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I made a bracket for my fuel filter housing today. I decided to mount the filter above the drivers side valve cover. I didn't get to the Walbro bracket yet, the pump will be here tomorrow so i'll wait till then.

Went out to my grandpas and scrounged through his random iron pile and found a perfect chunk of steel to make it. :HiHi:

Here's some pics from start to finish. Sorry for the blurry ones.

Started with this

Cut out a 6"X6" piece

I got out the torch and heated up the sheet and bent a 90 with the vice.

Drilled the holes for the intake bolts and the filter housing. Also marked out the corner to kind of clean up the bracket.

Cut out the notch I marked out

Took my grinder with the soft pad and rounded and smoothed the edges to clean it up.

This is the location I chose, seemed the easiest to access. We'll see how I like it :whistle:

A couple clearer pics of the bracket

Got my filter heater in the mail today also! :bounce:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the bracket right now so that will look a lot better. :HiHi:

For the heater, I'm going to run it off a keyed power source so it will always be on when the truck is on. But I will also put a switch in between so i can turn it off all together during the spring and summer.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
nice, like the re-use of metal, and galvanised to boot.... best way to fight our consumer society....:thumb:.. your placement is decent too, easy to run your lines, and easy to change filters....

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
nice, like the re-use of metal, and galvanised to boot.... best way to fight our consumer society....:thumb:.. your placement is decent too, easy to run your lines, and easy to change filters....
Thanks guys! Yeah i'm a fan of saving money so I had no problem making my own stuff, plus it's fun. :thumb: I'm no fabricator by any means but it turned out way better than I thought.

This location was one of 3 places I thought of and it won out because of the way the fuel lines run. I didn't want to run lines all over the place.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nice work Aaron! :thumb:

Matt

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah i'm a fan of saving money so I had no problem making my own stuff, plus it's fun. :thumb: I'm no fabricator by any means but it turned out way better than I thought.

This location was one of 3 places I thought of and it won out because of the way the fuel lines run. I didn't want to run lines all over the place.
finally you decided not to run the old school 6.2l filter head?

1 - 20 of 214 Posts