Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As you can see this is my first post. I have been reading everything on the site I could find including the FAQs and such.

Here is my story that I would like to have some advice on:

I can buy a '95 'burban 6.5 with 179k on the odo for $1000.

Here's the catch, it is sitting on a mechanic's lot with reported "blown head gaskets". The mechanic is a life long friend of my father-in-law's.

The story goes that the thing has a new turbo, injectors, IP and PMD. (I guess with the new IP) He "thinks" the tranny was rebuilt too. I'm not sure if he did the work or if the owner of the thing came to him when it started eating coolant. The mechanic said he noticed that it did eat coolant and that when he saw the temp gage going up he pulled it off the road shut it down and had it towed back to his shop, where it has been sitting for over a year. Maybe closer to two.

I went to see it today and he related the story to me. He says all it needs is head gaskets and the heads "gone over". He also said something about when the heads were "gone over" that brass sleeves would be put in??? I asked, "In the heads?" he answered, "yes, for the valves." ???? Did I hear him wrong? :blahblah:

He said the head gasket job would cost almost $3K and he isn't interested in doing the work.

So, I can tear the thing down, and send the heads out which is what he would do anyway. In addition to the heads I think it will need the following:
brakes and lines; belts/hoses; tires - absolutely.

What are the chances the heads are cracked and or the block cracked??

The body and paint is in decent shape considering it has been sitting. The interior is cloth and it has barn doors.

Is this a diamond in the rough or a lump of coal.

BTW, the goal is to install a WVO conversion as sell. I love the idea of burning oil in the thing and smelling the fries.
:help:

Thanks in advance,

Carl

·
Registered
377 Posts
2 or 4 wheel drive? 1500 or 2500?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Buy it

Even if you have to put a motor in you will be money ahead you can't go wrong for a grand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

My first car was a '68 Chevelle SS ):h 16 years old with over 300 horses!! There's a scary thought!!!

C.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Can't go wrong for that little amount of money.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Depends upon a few things. Yes, that's a small amount of money for that rig, but a few considerations:
1. if you are mechanically inclided, can be fun experience to "get back on the road again"
2. If you are pressed for time, may become an extended "lawn ornament" and you may be suffering at spouce or neighbor's reminders to get it running or get rid of it.
3. May just be more than "just heads". How deep are your pockets?

It's about more than just the first cost investment, it's about back end finance/other relationships that may suffer in the process too if everything doesn't line up. For the price, (if finances permit, for repairs too) sounds like an "okay" deal.... hard to tell from this side of the keyboard.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
buy it. head gasket probably went due to overheating. Replace the gaskets (and heads if need be). Then install '97 cooling upgrade so that it doesn't overheat again. Sounds like a solid investment if you do your own work.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you don't buy it, tell me where it is. I could use a spare truck for parts. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Buy the suburban and put a cummins 5.9 diesel in it.:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd buy it. If you do most your own work it should be both a learning experience and a deal by the time you complete it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Heck, let's say for worst case scenario that the motor is done, over kaput. Budget $5G and you've got a great ride for 6 grand with a new motor. Of course, that would assume you are doing the work yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh,

So that means I have to get my tools out and buy a few that went missing over the years.

Huumm... Puttin a Cummings in sounds good, however, how well do things bolt up? I like a clean install.

I heard that about expensive lawn ornament! I started looking at the thing before Christmas, and the wife is a main reason that I didn't jump on it when I first heard about it.

Like I mentioned before, the ultimate goal is to make it greasy, and I would be doing the conversion myself.

Thanks for the prompt replys! ):h
I just got my first copy of Diesel Power Magazine the other day. WOW - it ain't your father's diesel any more!!!

What SHOULD the heads being redone cost? and what is the "brass sleeve" thing. Would the valves be set already? I mean, yank the heads, send them off then (after new gaskets) bolt them back on without adjusting valves? I can disassemble/reassemble anything. I have found that it's knowing WHAT needs to be adjusted when everything is going back together.

How much are new heads?

I would want to get it at least back on the road before I made it greasy.

Deep pockets?? I thought so till I payed this past months electric and home heating oil bills.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Deep pockets?? I thought so till I payed this past months electric and home heating oil bills.
That's what you get for living in the people's republic of taxachusetts.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If you're interested in a cummins conversion, visit www.fordcummins.com They do chevy's now, too. A friend of mine just did a cummins conversion in his 78 chevy truck. He went with the 4 cyl motor. Says he gets 18mpg with the automatic tranny.

Anyways, he says that he bought nothing from fordcummins.com, but the guy couldn't have been more helpful. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with him giving him info on what he needed.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Which model year cummins did you install?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I own a 1995 burb and love it, if I ran across another one for $1000 I would find a way to beg borrow or steal the money to get it, especially if it had new anything on it. If you change your mind let me know I am very interested. Best of luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The engine model year is a mix between a 95 and 96 model year cummins because I made one good engine out of two bad ones. One was burnt and one blew number six rod they ran it out of oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts