Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the code section and if I read it write I was supposed to have a 12 code first? Well I didn't, It read 18,35, and 54. It restarted today and I let it warm up and it didn't shutdown. I was watching the two clear fuel lines I put on and there is no bubbles and the by pass switch that I put on for the lift pump turns on when I flip it just to hear it run. I am thinking that maybe it could be the Pmd failing as it seems to go that way with this truck. The last one I put on, is the Black one from off top of my memory is the Flight line or something to that effect. I ordered it from Leroy's as he told me that this was better than the gray one now? This was my first check for the codes and I will try and tinker with it tomorrow after work. I installed it some time ago in s.cali during a summer probably a year ago and I drove the truck when I moved here to Texas straight through so I am wondering if maybe it got hot, it is relocated behind the front license plate but it seems like they still don't last but maybe a year or so as I do tend to have to replace them. I have a spare new set up already to go, just in case. Wife is like telling me to get rid of it lol, as it seem to giving up on me a time or two. I am not ready as it runs good when it not shutting down. Lots of things have been replaced over the years with the help of this group, My dad's old truck and it doesn't have a lot of miles on it so I'd like to tinker with it a bit more, So Howdy from here in Texas now lol Robert

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Service Engine Soon light will flash Code 12 three times to indicate that the diagnostics are working. Trouble codes will then follow, one at a time, three times each. DTC 12 will only appear if there are no other codes.
I don't have any 12 codes come up, just starts with 18,35 and 54. I am going to pull the battery terminal tomorrow night after work and let it sit for a while to clear the codes. The truck starts and seems like it idles pretty good, I am wondering if it is my Pmd. I have clear fuel lines and there is no bubbles, I will be changing the fuel/water filter this weekend, just because I try and do it every year. I checked the Pmd and It is black so it is the FSD. I was just looking on Amazon and they have some at pretty good prices. I know that product and services change every year, so one year A part is the best and the next year part B is the best. Leroy's told me that when I bought my Pmd from him the FSD was better so I went with that. The Injection pump is only a couple years old I replaced it with the help of this forum and i bought a new one. Most of the stuff as been replaced on this truck, except the timing chain I haven't done that yet. I know there is a way to test the Pmd while its with the truck but I wouldn't know how to test the resistance or what ever that is, lol. My son in law would know this stuff but I don't know if id have the tools to let him even try, he is not a repair guy but a software engineer with a major corp in Austin but anyways. I have had so many of these Pmd lol 2 or 3 now go out, I am just thinking it might just be this dam part again? The codes that I put out her all point to Pump cam fuel this injection that. The dam Pmd controls that crap lol, What do you guys suggest, I would be interested although if you go to technical with the electrical resistance stuff that will leave me out of understanding it lol. I hope you all had a little laugh anyways thank you all for you suggestions best regards Robert.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Did you buy the extension wire harness from Leroy? His harness is good. But if you got one from someone else it may be imported, and they are junk. Only use USA made harness. I had an imported one and it went bad after about 2 years.. Replaced with Leroy's. Been working great foe many years.
Also. Did you use the heat soak pad or heat transfer paste between the PMD and heat sink? You have to use one or the other. If not the PMD will fail.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short)
DTC 54 - PCM fuel circuit error

With the 54 appearing, I would start by going back through your grounds on the back of the motor on the passenger side.
Double check the ground for the PMD harness on top of the Injection pump.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response yes I buy everything from Leroy's the last one i installed from him was the black fsd he said that the gray ones were not as good now?.. I have a new set up already to go in the truck that I bought from him too. I will recheck the grounds too. How long should the pmd last? I lived in riverside ca and it gets hot and now in north Texas I know it gets hot here too lol. The set up that Leroy's sends is what I have do I need to use the paste as well. Thanks

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
Thank you for the response yes I buy everything from Leroy's the last one i installed from him was the black fsd he said that the gray ones were not as good now?.. I have a new set up already to go in the truck that I bought from him too. I will recheck the grounds too. How long should the pmd last? I lived in riverside ca and it gets hot and now in north Texas I know it gets hot here too lol. The set up that Leroy's sends is what I have do I need to use the paste as well. Thanks
A PMD can last you 2 minutes or 20 years depending on your fuel system health. Any air in fuel issues, fuel restrictions, leaks, bad grounds, weak lift pump, injection pump issues, can all attribute to short PMD life.

The heat transfer pad that comes with the relocation kit should be more than enough to help keep the PMD cool. If you do not have a heat transfer pad then some heat transfer paste should be applied.

We always recommend that you carry a couple of "Known working" PMD in the vehicle with you at all times.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't remember a ground on the injection pump I'll look for that one too thank you

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Okd..there was a lot of rush hour traffic in california average time to get home 16 miles was about 1.15 hrs lol not much air flow happens there. I'm pretty sure that black pad that comes with Leroy's kit is a heat pad? What pmd are better these days I'm going order another one to replace my new one that's in the center console. I'm getting new tires for my dodge truck but when I get home I'm going to clean the grounds and make sure that ground wire for injection pump thank you for the help guys

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
I don't remember a ground on the injection pump I'll look for that one too thank you
At the base of the OEM harness connector on the IP, there is a black ground wire that goes up to the top of the Injection pump and is secured with a hex screw.
That wire gets broken, neglected often.
See attached picture
Font Tool Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool than you I see it going to clean it up I also changed my fuel water filter which way does the little screen barrel does the tabs go up or down. It came out in the filter and flipped around as I was trying to get it out thanks

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
Cool than you I see it going to clean it up I also changed my fuel water filter which way does the little screen barrel does the tabs go up or down. It came out in the filter and flipped around as I was trying to get it out thanks
Tabs on the screen filter go down to slide over tube

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
18 and 35 codes can pop up with PMD issues.
The code 54 is the PCM is not seeing voltage going to the lift pump.. Check your wiring and bypass switch to the lift pump. May have a short and lift pump is not working all the time. If the LP is not working properly. The lack of steady fuel can cause the PMD to over work, heat up, and burn out. Even if on a good heat sink.
The Flight Systems PMDs seem to be good. I have one in my truck. Still going strong after 10 years. Spare new PMD is FS also.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you i have it back together I still havent put the new PMD on yet, I am going to see if it it throwing any codes here in a few, I mowed my yard after I got done as i want to try and go fishing tomorrow and didn't want to have to mow it tomorrow. Wife said i was nuts as it was starting to get hot lol. Your PMD lasted 10 years so far, that is a long time

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am about to order another kit from Leroys, I believe I usually get the #9 resistor for better fuel, I am thinking of getting the # 5 for the first time. Not sure if i have the numbers reversed but I know i get the better fuel one. If i get the other one how much worse fuel consumption should i expect? I don't tow a lot but I might change it for something different this time, any suggestion thank you

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
#5 is in the middle
#9 is max fuel
Really very little difference.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay I think the 9 was stock correct

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,404 Posts
I used #9 all the time.

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I installed a new Pmd kit from Leroy's and I drove it around kind of close as I am not trusting the truck to not have any problems, here of late its been unusable. After a week or so I finally decided to try and go 34 miles to work and the service engine light came on so I took it home. I just had to recheck the codes and I am still gettting 18 35 and 54. I believe I bought my new injection pump from Badger, I came highly recommended so I went with him. I have replaced the lift pump several times and when I changed out my fuel/water filter a couple weeks ago i have my lift pump on a switch so i can turn it on to pump fuel out of the gate valve and its seems like it's pumping fuel out pretty good too. I of course cleaned the grounds. I use a little two cycle oil in my fuel as recommended too. Any other thoughts on what might be causing this. I'd hate to get rid of it as it was my dads but I am about to have the old girl crushed lol. Metal is in bringing in a good bit of money and that truck is all metal lol

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is the Optical Sensor filter harness. It is a black box plugged into the optical sensor.
If bad it can throw OS related codes like 18. and other issues.
If it is still there you can unplug it and plug the harness minus the filter back into the OS. truck should run fine without it.
Pic below
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you I will look into this tonight. If I read this right I can remove the filter and still plug it into the other plug correct

1 - 20 of 52 Posts