Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new starter on my 94 6.5 3500 an I hooked up all brackets made sure tight as I could get an every time I turn it over it will rip the teeth right off the fly wheel an not turn over. The motor isn't seized any help would be amazing as I am at a still of not knowing what to do

·
Administrator
21,844 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

What brand of starter did you install?
Did you inspect the starter bolt holes prior to the new starter installation?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,044 Posts
Was it doing the same thing before the new starter was put on?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,044 Posts
Yes it was doing it. With the old starter Also why I replaced it because the old one died an started todo that
Okay.At this point I’d probably buy new acdelco starter bolts from rockauto just in case yours are worn.Doesn’t hurt to replace them anyway.I bought a few sets of bolts from rockauto just to have as spares in case I ever need them.

And dieselpro might be right about the flexplate.I’ve never had any problems with aftermarket starters from anyplace as they’ve always performed okay with no alignment issues.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
21,844 Posts
Duralast gold an I did not whT should I be looking for
You need fresh OEM starter bolts as mentioned.
If there are any previous issues with the starter having this issue then the starter mounting holes could be out of round, cracked, etc.
You need to closely inspect those starter holes for any issues.
If they are out of round then that means the old starter has been flexing causing the holes to stretch.
All causes from the starter support bracket not being installed properly, or if at all

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I'm with DieselPro.
You need to remove the tranny shield so you can see what is going on.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Probably need someone to turn the motor over at the crank snout while you watch the flex plate. Lots of wobble means flex plate bad... Please note the flex-plate is special one of a kind deal.. Special teeth count and counter weight to boot. No others will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts