Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my timing chain recently broke under normal driving conditions and cracked the bottom of the case, the motor only has around 40,000 miles. My question is, what should I replace it with, timing chain, or timing gears, and why????

·
Registered
696 Posts
Cloyes is well spoken of. Check your balancer and pulley while their off.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
When my time comes, I'm putting in gears

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Expect to find more damage, these are "O" clearance motors meaning there is no room between valves & pistons....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
pics help to answer questions better.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
Is that a replacement motor?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya just not sure where from, all I know is everything was new 40,000 miles ago. And the only picture I have is of the cracked case on the bottom. I'll try and load it. So are you thinking I might have some bent valves? The motor shut down as soon as it happened.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well do as little as ya want and see, if you don't know these motors you should do lots of reading. They break rather quickly...

Just my thoughts here but do it now or do it later...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well do as little as ya want and see, if you don't know these motors you should do lots of reading. They break rather quickly...

Just my thoughts here but do it now or do it later...
sctrailrider, you must not even own a 6.5. I have had 3 now, and its been my experience that they are more reliable than any other engine out there if proper maintenance is done. I have pulled over 18k with these engines for hundreds of miles. Its the people that run them without oil, or don't keep up with their maintenance that say "they break rather quickly" Believe the OP just wanted his questioned answered.

The 6.5 is a very reliable engine if properly maintained. Hence the reason they use them in hummers, boats, presidents caddy, etc... Sounds like whoever rebuilt the engine had some shortcomings. I am always reluctant when someone tells me "the engines just been rebuilt" I want to see receipts and talk to the man that rebuilt it. Do a compression check and Go back with AC delco parts. Cant go wrong there. First truck I sold that had a 6.5 in it was a 95 with 315k all stock and was running strong when i sold it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
sctrailrider, you must not even own a 6.5. I have had 3 now, and its been my experience that they are more reliable than any other engine out there if proper maintenance is done. I have pulled over 18k with these engines for hundreds of miles. Its the people that run them without oil, or don't keep up with their maintenance that say "they break rather quickly" Believe the OP just wanted his questioned answered.

The 6.5 is a very reliable engine if properly maintained. Hence the reason they use them in hummers, boats, presidents caddy, etc... Sounds like whoever rebuilt the engine had some shortcomings. I am always reluctant when someone tells me "the engines just been rebuilt" I want to see receipts and talk to the man that rebuilt it. Do a compression check and Go back with AC delco parts. Cant go wrong there. First truck I sold that had a 6.5 in it was a 95 with 315k all stock and was running strong when i sold it.
I see your somewhat new here post wise.... we will see when/if he gets it apart...

and I don't know anything about them either lol can't even spell 6.5...

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Timing chain break is rare on a 6.5l. Especially low mileage. One thing to check for is the IP seizing. They can seize and tear up quite a bit of stuff. Normally the IP shaft shears in two. If it does not shear something else in the cam chain/gear setup gives way.

·
My 6.5 scared a prius
1,215 Posts
Havent heard of a timing chain just snapping like that, even the hell beaten out of it.. unless the IP froze up, something happened to the cam, which is another rarity, or somehow the keyway on the crank snapped and back-lashed, again.. uncommon

·
Registered
314 Posts
If nothing else pull the rockers and air check the cylinders. At least that will tell you if you bent a valve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update, took the timing cover off and discovered the timin chain was not broke. Turns out that the crank broke on the front portion!! Pulled the motor and took the crank out in two pieces! Good news is I don't think anything else is broke or bent from what I can see!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sorry to hear this, unfortunately these cranks are known for that... and you will find more once a shop start's really measuring things if you go that route..

Post up some pics, I'd like to see a close up of the break...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts