Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was looking for some opinions. I have a 93 S-10 Blazer and it has a couple problems I am a little puzzeled about. First of all if it has been sitting for awhile and I start to drive it, the first time I step on the breaks the back ones lock up instantly. Once I stop and push hard on the pedel they seem to work normally, I may have to do it twice for them to work normal again.

Second is when I engage the manual transfer case the 4WD works fine, but when I disengage it the frount end starts grinding like it would if you were stuck and the back wheels were still spinning when you engaged the 4WD.

Any ideas what would be going on here? It is kinda my second vehical now, I just bought an 03 D-max and am loving it!! The Blazer is kinda on the back burner, but I need to get these issues cleared up to either drive it or sell, still debating.

Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
As far as the brakes, I'd say the rear wheel cylinders are probably about shot and hanging up. Also, since it's been sitting so long, the brake fluid is likely full of water. I'd replace the wheel cyls (and probably calipers while you're at it) and flush out the system with new fluid.

Your 4wd hanging up could easily be low or bad fluid in the front differential or transfer case. That would be my first thing to check.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info btfarm, I'll check it out.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Ya, the rear drums were probably rusted and hanging, no biggie. The hanging 4wd could be a 'sitting up' issue too, like the actuator still enguaged or intenals needing 'new' lube (like a diff service).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I guess I didn't mention that the breaks 'grab' every time I drive it after it sits for even a day. So rust shouldn't be the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts