Diesel Place banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, 10k GVW, Crew, LB, Dually ,141 Block. Replaced much in 2020
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yes, I did that to each rocker, no change at all.

Thanks.

Jim P

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
652 Posts
If you have a stethoscope or a long screwdriver or a long extension is the noise more pronounced out of any one cylinder?

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
652 Posts
All great points, thank you all. I'm climbing back into more diagnosing this weekend. I've been driving it daily with lots of seafoam in the tank, and 8 ounces in the oil. How far can I push the seafoam / oil ratio for a short period to make sure the insides are clean? I'll then drain, new oil, filter, new oil cooler lines, connectors, seals etc. Then start finding that noise. No noise at cold startup, loudest is 2 minutes after cold start, that's what you hear on the recording, noise drops continuously until full engine temp and it's just a single tap, tap, tap and almost can't hear it at idle. Engine and new trans run great, I would love to nail this down so I'll stay on it.

Thanks for all the comments and tips, I'll follow up as soon as I can.

Jim P
This may just have been missed but I didn't see cam bearings on your list.

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, 10k GVW, Crew, LB, Dually ,141 Block. Replaced much in 2020
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I nailed down cylinder 1 as the source. So I'm going to pull the intake and valve covers and see if I can pull the front cylinder (1) lifters with the head on. If I can, I'll replace with new and start it. If the noise is still there, off comes the head and the rod/piston assembly. I have a new complete head on its way, as well as piston, rings, wrist pin, rod bearing and bushing. Will install all of that and if the noise persists, the damn thing is haunted.

Jim P

Reactions: cruzer747

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,257 Posts
I did 18.5:1 coated Pistons while I was there. Seems to help cruise a bit better. I didn't see a real change in mpg tho. But my blow by is way better with new rings. Maybe the military didn't rebuild it so well.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts