Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete newbie to diesels, but I bought a 1996 RV with a Chevy 6.5L 3500 engine. It started losing power, and the diagnosis is "injection pump is bad. Code is for an internal calibration problem."

So the mechanic says the fix is to repace th injection pump, for $2879 in parts and $5100 labor.

Does this sound reasonable?

Appreciate any help here!

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
I'm a complete newbie to diesels, but I bought a 1996 RV with a Chevy 6.5L 3500 engine. It started losing power, and the diagnosis is "injection pump is bad. Code is for an internal calibration problem."

So the mechanic says the fix is to repace th injection pump, for $2879 in parts and $5100 labor.

Welcome to DieselPlace

Tell us a little more about the RV. ( Make and Model) and list any engine mods.

Considering if you bargain shop for an Injection pump you can find one for about 500-600 bucks and being generous on labor i figure 12-15 hrs max..
I'd say You better run for the hills .. someone wants you to pay their house mortgage..

Is your engine equipped with a mechanical injection pump or DS4 electronic with a PMD installed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

Considering if you bargain shop for an Injection pump you can find one for about 500-600 bucks and being generous on labor i figure 12-15 hrs max..
I'd say You better run for the hills .. someone wants you to pay their house mortgage..

Is your engine equipped with a mechanical injection pump or DS4 electronic with a PMD installed?
Welcome to DieselPlace

Thank you Dually!

It's a 1996 Safari Trek, real nice inside. The engine was replaced with a remanufactured one 120,000 miles ago. I don't know what kind of injection pump

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Thank you Dually!

It's a 1996 Safari Trek, real nice inside. The engine was replaced with a remanufactured one 120,000 miles ago. I don't know what kind of injection pump
A mechanical injection pump will have a throttle cable attached. An electronic injection pump will not have a throttle cable.
If you can post up some pictures of the Injection pump

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Dually!

Its 28', all the "house" systems work except the air conditioning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A mechanical injection pump will have a throttle cable attached. An electronic injection pump will not have a throttle cable.
If you can post up some pictures of the Injection pump
Unfortunately, the RV is in Baton Rouge and I'm in Minnesota... ;-(

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
Good advice from Okdually.Yes best you run elsewhere to have the work done or we can walk you through it.

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
So no pics until I go back down there.
There is a price difference between the mechanical injection pump and the electronic DS4.
With the correct tools and the info in this forum you can change the injection pump yourself ( IF that is truly what the problem is with the RV)
There are more diagnostics you can do to determine if the pump is indeed the issue.

Most mechanics today will blame the IP because it is a labor-intensive job for them and the Pump can be expensive.( win win for the mechanic) bad for your wallet..

I would start with the basic diagnostics first and work your way up to condemning the Injection pump as a last resort...
Test the lift pump
Check for air in fuel issues
check for any fuel restrictions
go through all grounds

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
14 Posts

I know a guy who had a 92 6.5L and needed the same. I believe it was like $1500 to rebuild the pump and came to maybe $3k total.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know a guy who had a 92 6.5L and needed the same. I believe it was like $1500 to rebuild the pump and came to maybe $3k total.
Thank you, Motofixxer. Unfortunately I'm not too handy with engines, but thanks for the offer!
Frank

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, that's a lot more reasonable. Thank you for the info!
Maybe someone on this forum could suggest a reputable mechanic near wherever the RV is at this time, if you asked for that input (better in another thread, probably.)

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Maybe someone on this forum could suggest a reputable mechanic near wherever the RV is at this time, if you asked for that input (better in another thread, probably.)
Finding a trustworthy, knowledgeable mechanic for a 6.5L is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack today..

The platform is 20+ years old and the majority of mechanics stay within 5-15 years of model years to maintain the paycheck.
So finding one who remembers the proper diagnostics and repairs is going to be a big gamble and this will affect your wallet if they start throwing unnecessary parts at it for their gain.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not too handy with engines, but thanks for the offer!
Frank
You can tackle the diagnostics and verify if the injection pump is actually the problem by asking questions here and reading up on the 6.5L FAQ pages.
You just need to have the engine in front of you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can tackle the diagnostics and verify if the injection pump is actually the problem by asking questions here and reading up on the 6.5L FAQ pages.
You just need to have the engine in front of you.
Yes, I'll do that- I'm hoping I can drive it out of the shop, even at a low speed (30-40 mph) to somewhere I can work on it, and try to put allk the good diagnostic advice to good use.

Thank you al;l for your help!
Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts