Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The 6.5 line and cooler kits work well on gmt400 6.2 trucks. I had to cut and alter the cooler mounting brackets. Got this nice kit for $60 a few years ago on craigslist. Even had the correct o rings for the filter adapter. I covered the ss lines with some heater hose i had laying around.

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Truck moves under its own power finally. Fixed the t case leak. Complete front end rebuild. New moog u joints. Installed new door pins and bushings and welded up a custom pedestal mount for the plow controller last night. New load range e tires on the way and a bunch of little stuff left to do. The plow mount is bolted on and the plow has been repainted.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Blade

Attachments

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
So ... so ... High Viz !!!

Youa’ll can’t miss swing that thing !!

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Important stuff

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Got the plow mounted on the truck just have to hook up the controller and hoses. Almost done. Not much of any sag with those timbrems installed. I think someone cranked up the torsions at some point so i might lower it a bit before i have the alignment done. I dont want sag when im towing but it sits good with the plow on. These leo plows are so simple and strong Im looking for more now. I also picked up an extra used pump, a controller and two lift cylinders for $100. I dont think the seller knew these pumps are $900 new.

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ill shoot for a video in the next few days when the lights and all are hooked up. I ordered new rockers and cab corners for it also.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
So do you consider the almost completion of this project to be 2 months late or 6 months early?

I had a 9' Leo on my 83 K3500 dump truck. Was a great plow. Very simple reliable strong design. Was easy to attach too. I don't know if it was stock or if someone added it but mine had a toggle that ran the lift up in the grill which made it easy to attach. You just had to drive over it and be within about 6" of aligned. You then hooked the lift chain to the lift cylinder and hit the toggle to partially raise it off the ground. If you were not close enough to getting it aligned to start with with some of the weight off you could easily muscle it around to do the final alignment and get it locked in. It was also nice that the locking pins are pretty big slots compared to much more popular 'ez quick' mounts.

After I crashed my 95 burb I started plowing with an F150 and back when I first started plowing it was also a F150. I feel bad for that F150 just from the weight of the plow and the rocks I put in the back. I feel even worse for it with a decent snowfall, it just doesn't have a very solid feel to it. Actually now that I think about it my fist plow truck was a 68(ish) F250 2wd. Only used that one year. It did OK if I could get it started but besides the starting issues it had transmission issues so that was when I went to the F150 that at least was 4x4. Those were both a 60's era western that wasn't super heavy so it didn't squat the trucks too bad.

My next truck was the K3500 dumper with the Leo and wow what a difference. That was the truck that made me realize 1/2 tons were worthless for anything other than driving around practically empty. Before that I would have said any 1/2 ton could haul or plow anything.

Reactions: JCDiesel

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So do you consider the almost completion of this project to be 2 months late or 6 months early?
Thats a good way of looking at it definitely done early

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Early may be a good bet. Apparently one of the side effects of the current world events is a huge reduction in air pollution which is having a big effect on weather. Sounds like all the models have suddenly been wrong so both the experts and computers are having to re learn whats going on. Too early to tell what is going to happen but it sounds like chances are good it will be different just like many other things.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I mounted and balanced the tires at work. Also repainted the rims. Looking good still needs an alignment.

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Did a bunch of wiring tonight. Plow lights, streamlight charger, and manual glow plugs. Hooked the plow up and it lifts and drops like a dream. The front end only drops maybe 2". Bad news is that Both angling rams are leaking bad so im going to rebuild them in a week or two. Almost done

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Did you get to try it out a couple days ago or were you far enough north you didn't get much snow? I had a little over 6 inches and a plow would have been nice, especially an ATV one I think. Too heavy and wet for the 2 stage so had to do it with a shovel. It looks like it would have mostly melted but was just needing some exercise and a reason to leave the house.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Water pump pass through bolt is leaking. Well it appears to be leaking on the backside of the water pump backing plate just a tiny bit. Going to just install a new water pump and timing cover gasket. I always love this job when its done never halfway through. I have a Cloyes timing set i might throw in it while im at it might as well.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Ya I wana slap the engineer who designed that ....

Like BB mopars had cast ears For the water pump that stuck out the front, why didn’t they do that?

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Body work today

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
New tail lights and strainer on the sending unit. Cleaned it up and cut the fittings off to run rubber hoses.

Attachments

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,742 Posts
Heading east anytime soon? I have some rusty panels that need replacing. (y)

Reactions: JCDiesel

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Ive never done this body work before and its not done totally correct but I probably did too good of a job it actually looks great so far. On another note I noticed the trans leaking some fluid up front where the tc cover meets the tranny pan. Im not sure what it could be unless its the front seal or torque converter so Ill probably be dropping it back out in a few weeks. Oh well.

Attachments

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Couple pics of the body work done. Still have to install the steps and beauty rings and center caps.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 64 Posts