Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks that way. Mine went 900 miles and built a mere 35 grams soot load that time before triggering it's first regen cycle. Time will tell when the second cycle comes.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
they change something on the 16's or is that your programming?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't mean to kick sand in anyone's face but I am skeptical of this. Might you share a little on how you accomplished this?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not change the regen triggers. This is what it did on it's own. It is however using the same clean tuning strategy that I use on my 2012. I hope at some point to be able to extend the trigger mileage as they both will definitely go farther.

Reactions: dmax_ty

·
Registered
824 Posts
That is awesome! I remember Rob reporting that he had gone close to 1000 miles, but I could be wrong.

Is this mileage a fail safe built into the ECM if it hasn't seen a regen in XX amount of miles?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is awesome! I remember Rob reporting that he had gone close to 1000 miles, but I could be wrong.

Is this mileage a fail safe built into the ECM if it hasn't seen a regen in XX amount of miles?

Yes the regens trigger off of miles or soot load which ever comes first. Since moving away from the factory tuning my regens trigger off of miles with soot levels in the low 30's versus the typical 44 trigger.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes the regens trigger off of miles or soot load which ever comes first. Since moving away from the factory tuning my regens trigger off of miles with soot levels in the low 30's versus the typical 44 trigger.
So it can essentially obtain more of a soot load, but due to the mileage trigger it doesn't get a chance to get back up to 44 grams.

Is the factory tuning fairly "dirty"?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Reports have always been these trucks regen in the 7xx mi range if max soot grams 42-43g has not been hit first. Did GM raise this level on the 16s?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only time will tell when I hit the 1800 range on the odometer...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have gotten three 800 mile regens with the last on only reading 28 grams. All three times I have been towing my 16000+ fifth wheel.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Might be some passive regen in that case though...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks that way. Mine went 900 miles and built a mere 35 grams soot load that time before triggering it's first regen cycle. Time will tell when the second cycle comes.
How do you know the soot load? Where did you get that information? Is it in the DIC?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you know the soot load? Where did you get that information? Is it in the DIC?

We run an Edge Insight monitor. Not that I care to have junk on my dash/windshield, but any truck with a DPF should really have one. Drop me an email or give me a ring and I'll help you get it set up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the 2015 LTZ Duramax 6.6 with 8900 miles on it and unless I have been asleep all of the time I have never seen a regen on the D.I.C. or any place else. I there a problem? It sure runs good.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The is no regen indicator on these trucks. GM designred it to go unnoticed. High idle, odor, and reduced instant mileage are all signs but if you do a lot of highway driving you will not notice any of these. Why many of us run an Edge Insight CTS as it has a regen indicator and soot grams counter so you can see whats going on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The is no regen indicator on these trucks. GM designred it to go unnoticed. High idle, odor, and reduced instant mileage are all signs but if you do a lot of highway driving you will not notice any of these. Why many of us run an Edge Insight CTS as it has a regen indicator and soot grams counter so you can see whats going on.
Thanks for the good information. Not having the regen indicator is not mentioned in the books that came in the truck. I have the CTS2 in my truck now but haven't had the time to play with the monitor very much. One thing I did find this last trip is the post turbo exhaust temp, it ran between 500 & 600 Deg F. I liked that. The gear indicator should help when pulling the trailer. Thanks again for the info and more questions to come.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Was that a mix of highway and local road miles?

My regen intervals have gotten longer with no change in driving habits or conditions that last several months. I just pulled a 660 mile trip that was about 100 miles on highway @65-75 mph and the balance around town with some slow and go freeway and lots of local roads. Also a couple of auto starts to cool off the cab. I have done plenty over 700, but that was mostly highway with not much traffic or grade changes. I am running the DuramaxTuner on the +55HP tune most of the time. Seems like your tune is better for soot than stock and other tunes.

I don't have a monitor to record soot levels, but I have recorded all my regens since 2000 miles. I now have 25K+ miles, but for some reason the regen intervals seem to better. I also seem to be getting some better mileage. I was thinking that the dealer may have reprogrammed mine when they had to diagnose and replace the DEF temp sensor a few months back. It could be just a coincidence. I always considered my regens to be pretty good, but my mileage has been terrible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It was a mix, about 30% local and the rest interstate. I am not sure what all I will be able monitor, it seems that every model year has a different set of items in the computer. Lots of mixed information here, I'll just have to sort it out one at a time.
I haven't changed a thing, it is factory stock. I went out of town last week and the D.I.C. said the average mileage was 19.6, speed was mostly 75 to 80. I'll know for sure when I fill up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts